Karen's Reviews > Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Mar 04, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

Journey to the Center of the Earth was written in 1864 and takes the reader on an adventure to the center of the earth through narrator, Henry, the nephew of Professor Hardwigg. The Professor finds directions to the center of the earth in an old book and sets out with his nephew and an Icelander guide, Hans. Jules Verne was ahead of his time with science and the "what if." He may well have created science fiction.
This was my first read on the iPad and was available free through the app, Freebooks. Perhaps reading it on the iPad made it much more of an "adventure" for me. I loved the feature where you can highlight a word and get a definition which is very helpful with this book as many of the words were old english or had scientific meanings.
I remember seeing this movie as a child and was fascinated with the idea of exploring the center of the earth. Recently I have made it a point to read a book that I have viewed on the screen. And this book, like others is changed in the movie production.
This was my pick for the classic selection for our reading group and it made me realize how many of the classics I have NOT read. With the iPad app I am now encouraged to read many more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Center of the Earth.