megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Janes

The Janes by Louisa Luna

bookshelves: arcs-read

After the successful conclusion to the missing Brandt girls case (see Two Girls Down), Alice Vega, reputable 'people-finder', returns home to California, leaving Max Caplan behind.

They both return to their regular lives, Alice being Alice, certifiable badass, and Cap being lovable, often bumbling, father to teenage daughter, Nell.

Soon enough however, a new case falls in Alice's lap and it's no surprise, she calls on dear ole' Caplan to help her out.

This time, he joins her on the West Coast to investigate the death of two Jane Does and their possible connection to a human trafficking ring.

With their street smarts and unending energy, Vega and Cap have quickly become one of my favorite investigative pairs. The underlying sexual tension is a bonus that is hard to resist.

Although a slow burn, for crime thriller classicists, this story packs a solid punch.

The steadfastness with which Vega tackles each investigation is oddly inspiring and Cap's dedication to her is lovely to read. They really are perfectly matched.

This case, set in San Diego, tackles real life issue of human trafficking, as well as sexual slavery and abused minors. If these are topics that will be sensitive for you, tread cautiously.

The good news is, Vega and Cap are on the case and they never let up, whether it is against notable criminals or corruption among their own ranks.

I'm not sure how much longer Luna plans to write this dynamic duo together, but I sure hope it is for a long, long time. I know I will continue to pick them up.

As a matter of fact, I am ready for the next one already!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Doubleday Books, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity and really look forward to solving another case with Vega and Cap!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janes.

July 8, 2019 – Shelved
July 8, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2020 – Started Reading
January 5, 2020 –
6.0% "Woot woot!
Off to a solid start!!!"
January 16, 2020 –
12.0% "Reunited and feels so good!"
January 17, 2020 –
January 20, 2020 –
33.0% "Loving McTiernan as s new character. Hope he doesn't let me down! 🤔"
January 22, 2020 –
42.0% "Slow but smart.

I hope the Alice Vega series is a long one! I could definitely read one of these a year for the next 15-years..."
January 24, 2020 –