missy jean's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jul 31, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction

I have six --count 'em, SIX-- goodreads friends who gave this book five stars. So I feel like the stupid kid in English class for admitting this, but... I didn't get this book. At all. In fact, I gave up on it after about a hundred pages because it was driving me NUTS. I thought the narrative voice was gimmicky and stilted, and the structure left me cold, with its incomplete sentences and one-sentence (or half-sentence!) paragraphs. I just couldn't handle anymore.

Sorry, y'all. Now none of you will ever trust my book recommendations again :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

02/24/2016 marked as: read

Megan Wow! I'm shocked!

Gili My Mom felt similarly to you, though I do think she gave it closer to three stars after finishing it. I am generally turned off by gimmicks, but for some reason this one worked for me. Maybe I let it slide because it's a young adult book. But is that condescending of me? Not sure. Do you plan to finish the book? I'd be curious to know what you think by the end. But maybe you have had enough?

I liked your review! No need to apologize. You're not the stupid kid in English class for having your own opinion.

missy jean I don't think I'll be finishing it, at least not for now. Maybe I'll give it another chance someday. I'm really interested in the content, but the narrative voice literally made me want to throw the book out the window. I think it's true that YA books often make use of sentence fragments and mini-paragraphs (to hold young readers' attention, maybe?), and often this doesn't bother me. But in this case... it was total overload for me.

Tiffany I made myself finish it, and believe me, you didn't miss much. I don't know why people have rated it so high, I felt it had a horrible plot as well as being crappily written.