Daniella (Reading With Daniella)'s Reviews > Cupid's Match

Cupid's Match by Lauren Palphreyman

41915343
Click here to see this review and others on my blog Reading With Daniella

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The synopsis of this book sounded promising and the story line had a lot of potential, but the execution left me disappointed.
If I had to describe this book in one single word, I would use 'rushed'. From the romance, to the plot, to the world building, to the conclusion, everything simply felt hurried.

The world building was weak. I was constantly filled with questions and confusion as to how the world of cupids worked. By the end of the story, I still had many questions left unanswered. Perhaps there will be a sequel that will fill in all of these gaps, but I think the first book should have wrapped itself up nicer on its own.
The ending as a whole was too abrupt. They were in the middle of a battle and then Lila suddenly blacks out as she makes an attack, and when she wakes up, everything is fixed. And then the book is just over. Again, perhaps leaving the reader hanging was intentional if there is a sequel coming out and the author wants us to be left with questions and curiosity to continue reading the series.

The romance between Lila and her boyfriend at the beginning of the story felt weird. She seemed to be in love with him, but within a couple of days of meeting Cupid, she never wants to see him again. It made sense to end their relationship based on the recent events, but ending their long-term friendship seemed unnecessary and unrealistic to me.

Cupid's character honestly felt a bit inconsistent to me. When we were first introduced to him near the beginning of the novel, I was certainly intrigued. He was hilarious, mysterious, and very attractive. He reminded me of the typical "bad boy" love interest from paranormal YA fiction, which I liked. I was so sure that I was going to fall in love with him and I began to, with dialogue like this:
“You didn’t sleep much?” he asks as he swaps in another mug and presses the button again. When I shake my head, he nods knowingly. “Too busy thinking about me, I’d guess,” he says. “I don’t blame you, I am pretty dreamy.”
Unfortunately, it didn't last all that long. His lines quickly became painfully cheesy and he somehow often felt like an entirely different character.
He looks at me intensely. “I’d battle a Roman legion to get to dance with you.”
Cupid and Lila definitely has some chemistry when they first met, but after that their relationship felt extremely rushed and unbelievable. I think that a few more scenes between the two of them could have added a lot to the story.

There was also a love triangle sort of thing in the book that felt really random to me. Lila suddenly seemed to have feelings for somebody other than Cupid, and it just didn't make sense, in my opinion.

However, all these things aside, the book was somewhat enjoyable. It was entertaining, even if confusing and rushed at times. The mythology aspect was interesting and there was some fun banter between characters. I think the premise was really cool, but it could have used another round of revisions for a stronger story.
If you're looking for a really well developed paranormal story, this probably isn't the one of you. If you simply want a a quick and entertaining story involving mythology and cupids, you might want to give this one a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cupid's Match.

July 7, 2019 – Shelved