Kev's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: sword-2019

I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was a teenager and loved it. I may have re-read it once after that before now. Recently, Amazon had the Kindle version of The Lord of the Rings on sale for three bucks - I couldn't pass up that deal. I have a hard copy of the book, but ebooks are easier to read in the dark while my wife sleeps.

I found, rereading LOTR again, that the movie version - and having read novels by authors like James Rollins and Matthew Reilly - have spoiled me for getting to straight to the plot and moving it along, with sparse descriptions of only what you need to know right now. Whereas the book of LOTR simmers, meanders, repeats, wanders, marinates you in the world of Middle-Earth.

I found myself skimming, and downright skipping, huge swathes of the book this reread. That makes me sad for my reading attention span.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Quotes Kev Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

July 7, 2019 – Started Reading
July 7, 2019 – Shelved
August 11, 2019 – Shelved as: sword-2019
August 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Dave I can definitely relate to the attention span part. You end up reading so many books that without knowing it your reading preference changes. When LOTR is the only fantasy you know, of course you're going into full attention! lol That being said, Fellowship for me is a perfect book. I could read the descriptions for days and enjoy myself. The other books are wonderful as well, but the first will always be the one that hooks me in.

message 2: by Kev (new) - rated it 5 stars