Mary Lou's Reviews > The Odds: A Love Story

F 50x66
Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in February, 2012

The Odds A Love Storyis the first of Stewart O’Nan’s thirteen novels that I have read and I could almost dismiss it, but . . .. My thoughts after the last page were questions about whether or not I had read something worthwhile, even profound.

The story is simple to summarize: after 30 years of marriage and two affairs, one acknowledged and one kept secret and looming bankruptcy due to lost jobs and overextending on a house and a kitchen remodel, Art and Marion wager all they have left on Valentine’s Day weekend in Niagara Falls. They book an expensive honeymoon suite, visit tourist attractions, and eat and drink with abandon before they hit the casino to see if they are luckier at the tables than they have been during their marriage and the recession of 2008.

O’Nan does more than tell this story, though. He draws the reader into Art and Marion’s lives and experiences, opens up their intimate thoughts and interactions, and chronicles authentic aspects of our society.

In an interview with the author for Open Salon , Jonathan Evison writes, “O’Nan is not without his critics, and they almost always seem to say the same thing, at least in recent years: Nothing happens in his stories. His fans might argue that’s precisely the point. What O’Nan has done perhaps better than anybody else the past 10 years is deliver us the complexity, heartbreak and human drama of everyday people living everyday lives.”

I will definitely read more by O’Nan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odds.

07/23/2016 marked as: read