Kristi, A Book Fanatic's Reviews > Raising Abel

Raising Abel by Carolyn Nash

Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, nonfiction
Read from April 11 to 13, 2012

This is THE most moving book that I have ever read. As a schoolteacher I have taught students who had been abused. This book took me on a journey with two of the most remarkable people I have ever read about.

At the beginning of the story we are introduced to Carolyn Nash, a 38 year old single woman. Soon she brings Abel, a severely abused three year old, into her home and her heart. Carolyn allows the reader to be a part of her family with us witnessing happy and extremely sad moments in their life. As I read, I was devastated for Carolyn and Abel at their plots in life. I sobbed many times for these two, and I cheered Carolyn on as she came into herself during the story. I was trying to tell my Mom about this book today and was unable to talk about it without shedding tears.

If you only like to read books with roses and fairy tales then you should not read this book. I thought I was that type of reader, but this book proved me wrong.

Two of my favorite scenes :

Carolyn soothes Abel with singing to him, and she makes up a sweet song. "I love Abel, he's the best boy in the world. His mother loves him so much." As she sings he begins to cry. When she goes to comfort him he says, Mom, it was just so beautiful.

After some bad times with Abel, he writes her a letter. One line stuck with me. He wrote that Gods light is always shining in you even in the darkest times. How true a statement. One of my mother's favorite songs talks about angels being among us. I wonder if Carolyn Nash is not one -- sent here to do great things that the average person could not do. Carolyn, thanks for inviting us into your life on your journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Abel.

04/11/2012 "Starting this today for one of our April book clubs at Book Worms. The author, Carolyn Nash, is such a sweetheart. Can't wait to read her story. I have heard I may need a box of Kleenex. Download a copy (only available on Kindle) and join us!!" 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Meryl (new) - added it

Meryl I'm multi-tasking and haven't finished this book yet. Your review was inspiration. As a teacher, I know what you mean and I believe my reaction will be strong.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What a beautiful review!