Kaye Thornbrugh's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

bookshelves: fierce-heroines, characters-of-color, reviewed

At first glance, Legend appears to be your garden-variety post-apocalyptic/dystopia mashup. As you keep reading, however, you discover that it's so much more. Marie Lu's fresh writing, the interesting story world and the surprising plot twists make Legend stand out from the crowd.

My favorite aspect of the book was June’s relationship with her brother, Metias. In such a fast-paced, action-oriented novel, I was surprised to find that their relationship genuinely moved me. June’s memories of her brother and her connection to him were what made her character come alive for me, and I think they were the strongest scenes in the book.

Legend is told in the first-person, alternating perspectives between two characters: Day and June. Unfortunately, the two narrators’ voices were almost identical, which had me scratching my head. A teenage girl who has grown up in relative privilege, been educated in a top university, and has extensive military training (June) would think and speak differently than a teenage boy who grew up dirt-poor in the slums and went on to become the country’s most wanted criminal (Day). There was no real distinction between their voices.

Honestly, my only problem with Legend (and it's a very small quibble) was the ages of the protagonists. Both June and Day are fifteen years old—yet both are so skilled in combat, sleuthing and other areas that I would’ve pegged them for at least eighteen or nineteen. I sometimes found myself distracted by just how young these characters are. Their ages made it difficult for me to suspend my disbelief at times.

As for the romance, while I didn’t find myself rooting for Day and June as a couple (though I do see the appeal of this pairing and I understand what the characters see in each other, which is actually quite rare in YA these days), I certainly rooted for them as a team and I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. The romance was handled well and was never over-the-top, nor did it overshadow the rest of the plot, which made it easy for me to read it without becoming bored or annoyed.

TL;DR: Legend is a fast-paced read with an interesting premise and a great deal of action. I look forward to the sequel!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

Finished Reading