Vanessa's Reviews > Allegra in Three Parts

Allegra in Three Parts by Suzanne Daniel

bookshelves: favourites

So many parts of me adored this book! Actually all of them. I love this book!! It’s like all the bests bits of growing up in Australia came flooding back and it was like a little stroll down memory lane. A touching tribute to childhood and all it’s simplicity except when the adults are involved. Allegra is stuck between her warring Grandmothers, she lives with one and lives next door to her other. Although Allegra grows up without her mother the loss is cushioned by the overwhelming love of her Grandmother’s, her father is around but distantly and pretty much let the Grandmother’s run the show. Life is wonderful for the most part until she realises the predicament of having to choose between them time after time and she does it always with a heavy heart until it all comes to a head.

This book is simply a joy start to finish. Heartwarming, tender, sweet and filled with endearing moments. The Grandmother with the bottled tears of emotions, the tortoise named Simone De Beauvoir, the Ladies of Liberty who fight for the sisterhood. It’s a book that has instantly become dear to my own heart. I’ve been sick with a cold while reading this book and it was just the tonic to lift my spirits and fill me with heartwarming emotions. I even enjoyed reading the acknowledgements of the making of Allegra In Three Parts. I am so happy I found this author and it’s made even sweeter that this is her debut novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegra in Three Parts.

July 6, 2019 – Shelved
July 7, 2019 – Started Reading
July 13, 2019 – Shelved as: favourites
July 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Oh, this sounds like such a lovely read, Vanessa. I added it! It seems like it will have a nostalgic feel. Wonderful review!

Vanessa Thank you Jennifer! It was lovely! I’m happy you’ve added it 😀😀

message 3: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat K Sounds fabulous Vanessa.

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna great review, Vanessa!

Vanessa Thanks Deanna!

message 6: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse  Walters This sounds great ... thank you so much for this great review.
Right now - it’s only in Paper back on Amazon here - and $25 - hoping the price comes down soon and maybe on kindle.

And thanks for your other note.
I could understand why at first you were disappointed the Big Little Lies wasn’t filmed in Australia..
I admit living it in our area those.
That beach cafe - had to be built just for the show.
We don’t have cute coffee cafes - with tables & chairs right in the beach.

The 2nd season with Meryl Streep is intense!

If this book comes down in price / I’m getting it to read too.
Thanks, Vanessa. 📚💕

Vanessa Thank you Elyse and your welcome 🙏 💓

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Wonderful review, Vanessa!
One of the worst bits about Australians growing up in Australia is that too many grow up to be fantastic cricketers! : (

Mind you, I LOVE Masterchef Australia! Easily the best of all the worldwide Masterchef shows. One of the highlights of my TV year.
: )

Vanessa Thank you Kevin! Haha yeah we have it tough don’t we? Great weather, great at sports and we produce quality cooking shows! I’m always amazed to see how many international viewers love our version of Masterchef. Makes me proud to be an Aussie when I hear it! 😚

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Vanessa wrote: "...and we produce quality cooking shows! I’m always amazed to see how many international viewers love our version of Masterchef. Makes me proud to be an Aussie when I hear it! 😚 ..."

It's easily the best, Vanessa. I loved it when Marco Pierre White used to do a stint: "Where's my fish? Where's my fish? Where's my fish?" : )
Thank you for not including spoilers. We've only cleared two episodes of this year's series here, but the standard is already high.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Oh, and I crack up laughing when George eats anything with chillies in it. His bald head begins to sweat as if he's in a jungle! : D

Vanessa I love Marco! Oh my god yes George and his sweaty bald head! 🥵 I’m excited to know your watching and enjoying it from the other side of the world! It was a good season.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Happy to hear you had a great book to cozy up to while sick. Hope you're feeling better!

Vanessa Thank you Kelly! Yes much better 😊

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Vanessa!!

message 16: by Bianca (new) - added it

Bianca Fab review. I'll go reserve it.

Vanessa Thank you Holly!

Vanessa Thanks Bianca. I hope you’ll like it.

message 19: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fabulous review, Vanessa 💖

message 20: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat K Kevin wrote: "Oh, and I crack up laughing when George eats anything with chillies in it. His bald head begins to sweat as if he's in a jungle! : D"

Poor George! Swaddling his head in paper towels looking like Lawrence of Arabia ;-) Wait til you see his eyewear collection Kevvy, "Gorgeous George" for sure ;-)

message 21: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat K Kevin wrote: "Wonderful review, Vanessa!

Mind you, I LOVE Masterchef Australia! Easily th..."

Did someone mention Steve Smith??? ;-)

Vanessa HAHA Nat! 🤣 love the gorgeous George comment ;)

message 23: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat K I'm going to miss him 💔

Vanessa Yeah. I will miss them all. The show won’t be he same now without the three musketeers 😞

message 25: by Nat (last edited Aug 09, 2019 02:48PM) (new) - added it

Nat K I agree...it won't be the same. But at least they got to leave on a high. It was such a great bunch of people this series 🤗

Vanessa Agree. It was such a good series to end on. Sad that there was some controversy surrounding the reasons for leaving but in saying that maybe it was the right time to move on. Hopefully they can keep up the quality and abit of fresh blood might bring a fresh spin to the show.