Rochetta G's Reviews > The Sticky Doll Trap

The Sticky Doll Trap by Jessica Souhami

Mar 04, 2012

Read in March, 2012

This book is about a hare that prefers to sleep while other animals look for water during a drought. Once the other animals find water they decide to only give water to those who worked hard to get it. One by one they guard the water and the hare appears and tricks them into getting some water. Anticipating the hare will come back again; the other animals make a sticky doll trap out of tree sap. As planned, the hare arrives and gets stuck on the trap. The other animals free him. He again tricks them into letting him go and taunts them as he runs away from them. Unlike other tales, the “bad guy” gets away. This book is suitable for primary and intermediate. It teaches a lesson that hard work pays off. I actually like that the hare got away. It gives a sense of realism and teaches a lesson that not all stories have a happy ending. The author uses soft colors and oblong shapes in the illustrations. It seems as if solid color pages were used to piece together the animals and scenery and then a black color pencil was used to finish the detail. Also the tree in the pictures looks as if different shades of green paper where torn and glued to the branches. I would recommend this book because I think it’s important for every reader to have a diverse reading experience. For me, it’s refreshing to see the Hare in a different continent but still up to mischief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sticky Doll Trap.