MelissaB's Reviews > Naked Edge

Naked Edge by Pamela Clare

1320046

bookshelves: native-american-romance, pamela-clare-i-team, 2010-reads, romantic-suspense, favorite-contemporary-romance, contemporary-romance, paper-books-i-own
Recommended for: any romance fans, especially romantic suspense fans

Naked Edge is a great romance book from the very talented Pamela Clare. The book tells a wonderful romance story and takes you on a thrilling ride as you try to decide who is after the lead couple. The end of the book is amazing and will have tears running down your face because it is so emotional.

Katherine James is a Navajo Indian who works as an investigative reporter in Denver but she grew up on a reservation. She moved to Denver after college because she needed a change of pace from her home where her mother and half-siblings treat her badly because she is half-white. She becomes part of the headlines when a Native American religious ceremony she is taking part in is violently interupted by local police. As a local policeman is accosting her, she is saved once again by a park ranger who saved her life months earlier during a rock fall - Gabriel Rossiter.

Gabe and Kat start to work together to figure out why local police targeted the Native American ceremony which was legal. Gabe and Kat are very attracted to each other but seem to be two very different people. Gabe is an extreme rock climber and skiier who lives life on the edge and uses women for only one thing - sex, no emotions involved. Kat believes she has one man out there who is meant for her, so she does not believe in having sex until she meets him. After having a difficult childhood from her mother's affair, she doesn't want to chance having kids until she is in a permanent relationship. So how can she and Gabe have anything together when she is looking for forever and Gabe is just looking to score? Well, there is a lot more depth to Gabe than it seems. He has closed himself off from love and emotions after being hurt very bad earlier in life, but being around Kat starts to thaw his heart enough to let her into his life.

The danger stalking Kat and Gabe as they investigate a murder and the stealing of Native American aritifacts gets closer and more dangerous. Kat and Gabe are drawn closer as they are forced together due to the danger. Kat has her work cut out for her as she tries to understand why Gabe acts so hot and cold sometimes. She knows she will have an uphill battle trying to win Gabe's heart but she believes he is worth it. Gabe is very attracted to Kat and respects her a lot but he fights his feelings for her. Will Kat and Gabe stay ahead of the murderer with Hunter and Julian's help? Will Gabe give into his feelings for Kat and find his heart again? Will Kat finally find her half self in Gabe?

I really loved Kat in this story. She was a strong young woman who stayed true to her beliefs and knew who she was as a person. Gabe takes a little longer to really fall for at first, but I enjoyed his inner monologues and the way we saw his inner turmoil over his feelings for Kat. He had been dealt a harsh blow earlier in his life that he had to work his way through to be able to love Kat the way she deserved, but she doesn't give up on him. The chemistry between Kat and Gabe is red hot and I think it was even hotter because they don't make love for awhile because Gabe respects Kat's beliefs. When they finally do make love, it was worth waiting for and seemed very special and sexy. There was a special connection between Gabe and Kat that really made me believe in their love. Despite Gabe's initial reluctance, believe me by the end you will trust whole-heartedly in his love for Kat. The end parts of this book were an amazing emotional roller coaster that had me crying then sighing.

Naked Edge is one amazing romantic suspense. Kat and Gabe are wonderful three-dimensional characters who seem so realistic because they have unique and complicated personalities but seem perfect for each other. Kat's Navajo roots and beliefs were nicely integrated into the story in a way that showed the author was familiar with the subject. The romance was wonderful and had one of the best endings of a book I have ever read, the author ripped out my heart then made cry with happiness when it was restored. Very highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Edge.

July 31, 2008 – Shelved
February 19, 2009 – Shelved as: native-american-romance
February 19, 2009 – Shelved as: pamela-clare-i-team
March 11, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010-reads
March 11, 2010 –
page 1
0.28% "Can't wait to start this one, I am sure it will be great!"
March 31, 2010 –
page 161
44.6% "Great story! Gabe and Kat are wonderful characters."
April 1, 2010 – Started Reading
April 2, 2010 –
page 358
99.17% "Trying to stop crying from Gabe's sacrifice and how he showed his love"
April 2, 2010 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
April 2, 2010 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
April 2, 2010 – Shelved as: favorite-contemporary-romance
April 4, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2010 – Shelved as: paper-books-i-own

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Wow, five stars!

MelissaB Oh very much 5 stars! It was a great story and it made me cry like a baby!

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Yah! I am looking forward to Kat's story.

MelissaB Ally,

It was such a wonderful story! I am going to write a review soon.

Auntee Great review Melissa! Wasn't that ending fantastic? I couldn't believe it.:)

MelissaB Thanks Auntee! Me neither. I couldn't stop crying until the almost the end of the book.

message 7: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Ok that's it i'm putting this series in my ereader right now! Fantastic review, Melissa!

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Melissa! I can't find anything by PC here. Will I have to break my promise and buy her books from Amazon? :(

MelissaB Thanks Rossy! All of the books are really good!

Auntee Dina wrote: "Great review, Melissa! I can't find anything by PC here. Will I have to break my promise and buy her books from Amazon? :("

You know you want to Dina...now get on it!:D

MelissaB Dina wrote: "Great review, Melissa! I can't find anything by PC here. Will I have to break my promise and buy her books from Amazon? :("

Oh yeah, these books are worth it!

message 12: by Dina (new)

Dina You two are baaaaaad, Auntee and Melissa! :)

message 13: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ Melissa,
I have not read anything by Pamela Clare. Do you think it can be read stand alone? How were the first 3 in the series and is it worth tracking those down first?

message 14: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Dina wrote: "Great review, Melissa! I can't find anything by PC here. Will I have to break my promise and buy her books from Amazon? :("

You would have found it before the issue with the publisher. I think until that is solved you'll have to order it through Amazon. I'm lucky i bought all the books just last month, so i have them all so far.

message 15: by Dina (new)

Dina What issue with the publisher, Rossy?

message 16: by MelissaB (last edited Apr 04, 2010 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB I would say this could work as a stand alone. Hard Evidence and Unlawful Contact could be read in order but you wouldn't be miss too much if read out of order.

I think Hard Evidence, Unlawful Contact and Naked Edge are all 5+ star romantic suspense with great alpha heroes. Extreme Exposure is a good 4 star one for me.

I also love her historicals Surrender, Untamed and Ride the Fire and highly recommend those.

message 17: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ MelissaB wrote: "I would say this could work as a stand alone. Hard Evidence and Unlawful Contact could be read in order but you wouldn't be miss too much if read out of order.

I think Hard Evidence, Unlawful Con..."

Thanks! Looks like a trip to the ubs or PBS =)

message 18: by Rossy (last edited Apr 04, 2010 10:10PM) (new) - added it

Rossy Dina wrote: "What issue with the publisher, Rossy?"

If you had any books in your cart, wishlist or pre-ordered from certain publishers you get this message from the e-stores:
Currently unavailable due to agency pricing model going into effect.
We will get these titles back as soon as possible! Please check back frequently over the new few weeks to see when we can offer these again.

Here is the info from booksonboard:Pricing Model

message 19: by Dina (new)

Dina Thanks, Rossy. I'm not happy! :(

MelissaB These publishers seem determined to screw us loyal readers.

message 21: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ I am not going to pay an inflated cost for an e-book. I will just wait and get a used paper copy...now they get NO profit from me.

message 22: by Dina (new)

Dina Does anyone else think that the timing of this change in the pricing model is a bit strange? I mean, iPad has just been released. Call me paranoid, but I see conspiracies everywhere, LOL.

MelissaB Oh no Dear Author has been running articles about this and the connection to the iPad. Apple is dictating some of it or the publishers are trying to use it as an excuse to rob us blind.

I will not pay these inflated prices for ebooks, it's not going to happen.

message 24: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy I will only pay it; if the author is one i know and is an auto-buy for me; the amount that i would pay in shipping a paperback will be almost the same as having the ebook. Otherwise i'll have to go back to buying more paperbacks. Unless i can get a better price from the publishers themselves, if they have the ebooks listed on their site.

message 25: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy MelissaB wrote: "Oh no Dear Author has been running articles about this and the connection to the iPad. Apple is dictating some of it or the publishers are trying to use it as an excuse to rob us blind.

I will no..."

I don't doubt it for a minute, since Sony, Kindle and Nook all have to make price changes.
I'm really glad for my book buying addiction, do you know how much i saved comparing the prices that we will have now with how much i spend just last week alone? There were some books i bought for $9 that will now be $14...totally crazy!

MelissaB I only pre-order my favorite authors anyway and I get those in paper so they won't get much more out of me. I still think they are pissing off their most loyal customers who just want to read a reasonably priced book at the release date - and if it's an ebook we want it a few dollars cheaper because it has no resale value unlike a paper copy. Is that too much to ask?

message 27: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Not at all, you're absolutely right!

I'm taking advantage of how pissed off booksonboard is towards these publishers and buying some books from the rest of the publishers they have. I'm getting tons of rewards money and cheaper prices, really those other publishers do not know what they are missing.LOL

Baba  Wonderful review, Melissa!