Paromjit's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

F 50x66

bookshelves: crime-fiction, historical-fiction, mystery, netgalley

David Baldacci ventures into historical crime fiction with style with his new protagonist, Aloysius Archer, set in 1949 in the drought stricken small Southern Poca City. It begins with Archer being released on parole from Carderock prison for a crime he didn't commit and arriving in Poca with a distinct giveaway prison shuffle. He is armed with a list of things he must not do, such as don't go to bars, drink alcohol, associate with loose women, and a smaller list of things he must do, like report regularly to his parole officer and acquire gainful employment immediately. On his first night, he visits a bar and bumps into a wealthy man, Hank Pittleman, with his multiple businesses that have revived the town economically, accompanied by his bit on the side, Jackie Tuttle. He offers Archer the job of collecting a debt from Lucas Tuttle, or at least the Cadillac that serves as collateral for it.

However, Lucas has no intention of paying the debt or giving up the Cadillac until his daughter, Jackie, leaves Hank and returns home. Archer finds himself in a tight spot as he has spent most of the advance from Pittleman, and the situation is exacerbated further when there is a murder for which he is the primary suspect. After looking into Archer's background, Lieutenant Detective Irving Shaw begins to bond with Archer over their respective experiences in WW2, Shaw as a bomber pilot, and Archer as an infantryman, serving in Italy. Shaw draws in Archer into the investigation, providing Archer with vital experience of being a detective, learning the need for corroboration, skills in interviewing witnesses and suspects, and following leads. Archer has good instincts, and is a skilled observer, and he is motivated to do his best, because whilst Shaw may have begun to believe in his innocence, others in law enforcement do not, and he does not want to hang for crimes he didn't commit. With further murders, family secrets, lies, and conspiracies, Poca turns out to be a town with bucketfuls of intrigue, and Archer must find the truth if he is to live.

This is a great historical crime fiction read from Baldacci, I loved the period details, the cultural and social norms of the day were well depicted, such as the blatant sexism, and the embedded certainty that a woman's place is in the home, looking after the man, and raising children. The two women that become most important to Archer, Jackie and his parole officer, Ernestine Crabtree, a woman with aspirations to become a writer, are independent, strong willed, and smart. Archer is a good man, he respects and is protective of women, extending old fashioned courtesies but he is rather naive when it comes to understanding or intuiting what women might be up to, taking them at face value and being too trusting. This is riveting read, entertaining and suspenseful. I am not certain if this is going to be a series, but Baldacci seems to hint that it will be, as he has Archer on the cusp of embarking on a career as a gumshoe at the end. Many thanks to Pan Macmillan for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

July 6, 2019 – Started Reading
July 6, 2019 – Shelved
July 6, 2019 – Shelved as: crime-fiction
July 6, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
July 6, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
July 6, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

leslie hamod Temporarily off line, still reading! Wonderful review dear Parumjit, must add this!😘

message 2: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Great review as ever dear Paromjit 😘

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Paromjit 😘

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Paromjit! :-)

Paromjit Thank you kindly, leslie, Ceecee, Maureen and Norma.....so appreciated! 😍💝💝

message 6: by Mary Ann (last edited Jul 07, 2019 05:26AM) (new) - added it

Mary Ann Your review sparked my interest. I haven't read any Baldacci in quite a while; I don't know why, as I've always enjoyed his stories. I think I'll give this one a try. Thank you.

Paromjit Thank you, Mary Ann.....hope you enjoy! :)

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Excellent review Paromjit! 🌹

Paromjit Thank you so much, Nicola. 💕💞

Louise Wilson Super review, Paromjit!!

message 11: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill McGill Great review, Paromjit!

Paromjit Thank you so much, Louise and Jill. :)

message 13: by Deepu (new) - added it

Deepu Singh Thanks for reviewing it i ordered it

Paromjit Thanks, Deepu......hope you enjoy! :)

message 15: by Deepu (new) - added it

Deepu Singh Yup i love reading historical fiction so its a double treat for me cuz its my favourite author after all who is venturing in the aftermath of WWII

Mluckett5 @Paromjit - I never respond to reviews but after reading the piece and then your review, you nailed it. Nice touch. Thank you.

Paromjit Thank you so much, Mluckett....delighted you loved this! :)

message 18: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Barker Absolutely loved this book. Excellent review, surprised by the 4 star rating, I gave it 5 stars. Your discription of book was spot on. You really explained the substance of the book so people will be able to know what they're buying. For the Balducci fans a must read.

Paromjit Mary wrote: "Absolutely loved this book. Excellent review, surprised by the 4 star rating, I gave it 5 stars. Your discription of book was spot on. You really explained the substance of the book so people will ..."

Thank you, Mary....glad you loved this book too!