Kim Bickes's Reviews > Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade

Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet

F 50x66
Mar 04, 2012

I absolutely loved this book from start to finish! Now I really understand why Balloons over Braodway was this years winner for the Sibert Award. Not only are the illustrations amazing but it is also written very well!

Balloons over Broadway is a picture book story about Tony Sarg, the creator of the balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. It is a story about his life and how he enjoyed inventing things. He definitely enjoyed what he did and he wanted to share that with the world. You can truly tell that he enjoyed what he did through the illustrations. The illustrations also show the process in which he made the balloons. They show drawings and illustrations of his inventions before they were put out to be sold or shown. Sweet also shows the fabrics and colors that Sarg used. I enjoyed seeing through the illustrations the changes that he made to the balloons year after year in the parade. I didn't know that the balloons started out as puppets first and after a long process turned into balloons that floated over New York City.

Although I teach younger students, I think that this book would be perfect for possibly second grade through fifth grade. I would teach this book either around Thanksgiving time with a mini unit about traditions. One our traditions as Americans now is watching the Thanksgiving Parade and many students would be able to relate to that. This book would be perfect to teach students how they made and created the balloons for the Thanksgiving Day parade. I would also teach it separate as part of a study about inventions. I also think that this would be a very motivating book for students to read and experience. Tong Sarg was a man that enjoyed what he did and worked hard for what he really wanted. This is something that I try to instill in my students everyday! So in conclusion, I would definitely buy this book and add it to my classroom library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balloons Over Broadway.