Milliebot's Reviews > Bob

Bob by Wendy Mass

This review and others posted over at my blog.

I gotta say, Square Fish is a prominent middle-grade publisher on my shelves and, so far, my experience with them hasn’t left me disappointed.

Bob is a great little story about friendship and self-discovery. As Livy is trying to remember her childhood in Australia, she’s also trying to remember Bob and help him remember his past. I don’t want to say much about the plot, because the end was a surprise for me and I’d like to keep it that way for you. But Livy and Bob are both very likable. Also, Bob only naps for an hour or two every few months – I’m jealous! Can you imagine how much more time you’d have!?

The ending didn’t pack as much of a punch as I was hoping, but it still had me feeling some feels. There are also some lovely illustrations and embellishments throughout the book (keep an eye out for a Judging post someday!) and my only complaint there is that it needed more!

I recommend this if you’re looking for a sweet middle-grade with some modern fantasy elements. I’ll leave you with a couple quotes that I loved:

“Keep moving toward what makes you feel most alive.”

“But it’s important to think about words. You can’t understand how you feel sometimes until you know the words for it. Words make things real. You can quote me on that.” (This is from ‘My Favorite Words by Bob section – I always enjoy seeing vocabulary highlighted in middle-grade!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bob.

July 1, 2019 – Started Reading