Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)'s Reviews > Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Chase Darkness with Me by Billy Jensen

bookshelves: non-fiction, review-copy

4.0 Stars
This is exactly the kind of true crime book that I love reading. Within each chapter, the author outlines a variety of interesting cases and shares how he uses social media tools to attempt to find justice for the victims. Some of the cases in this book have answers, while others still remain unsolved. It was fascinating to learn how he uses simple methods like posting information to Twitter and Facebook in order to try to solve major crimes. This book also partially reads like a memoir as we learn how the author came into his passion for true crime. I found Jensen to be a very likeable person with strong moral values, which made his personal story compelling to read.

Jensen is also one of the authors who helped to finish Michelle McNamara’s popular true crime book, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark, so a lot of this book deals with his relationship with her and the Golden State Killer investigation. I would personally recommend reading I’ll be Gone in the Dark first in order to get the most out of this book.

Finally, the book ends with a call to action where the author outlines the steps to become an amtuer true crime investigator and ally with law enforcement agencies. Honestly, I found that section to be incredibly motivating and I am now considering ways that I utilize my own passion for true crime in a tangible way within my local community.

This was such an addicting read with just the right amount of information to keep me engaged, without bogging me down with too many details. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves true crime non fiction books like I’ll Be Gone in the Dark and True Crime Addict.

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of this book via Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chase Darkness with Me.

July 5, 2019 – Shelved
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: awaiting-release
July 9, 2019 – Started Reading
July 9, 2019 – Shelved as: review-copy
July 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela Verardi Knutson Sounds like a great read! I live in Sacramento and my husband grew up in the neighborhood where The Golden State Killer did his evil deeds. Thanks for the review! I will put this one on my Want To Read list.