Kristine's Reviews > The Secret Cove in Croatia

The Secret Cove in Croatia by Julie Caplin

77720288

This is a lovely summer beach read.

Nick, a humble sheep farmer finds himself on holiday in Croatia on a yacht with his girlfriend model Tara. Maddie, first in her family to attend uni, finds herself graduated and jobless so takes a last minute offer to help work on that same yacht. Maddie and Nick have a connection - his sister, her best friend Nina. But other than that, she's got no filter and tells him how she really feels, an absolutely admirable quality in my opinion :). When Nick starts realising how out of place he is in Tara's world, he starts to see Maddie in a whole new light.

I'm glad I slept on my thoughts of this book for a night before reviewing. I was torn between 3.5 stars rounded down to 3 or rounded up to 4. I woke up still thinking about the good parts of this book and decided that means it gets to be rounded up to 4 stars. Croatia was described beautifully and as a destination I've always wanted to go, that desire has only increased after reading this. When the right relationships finally work out I was overjoyed. It's an absolutely perfect book to curl up with by the seaside. You do have to like a bit of petty posh people drama.

But seriously, all of the characters have issues. For the longest time I couldn't figure out who we were supposed to like and who we were supposed to hate. Literally everyone on that yacht was getting on my nerves. And I still have a lot of unanswered questions which I can't ask here without spoiling the story. The story came to an abrupt halt and then had a really disjointed epilogue. There's a lot of plot lines that never finished; they just dwindled off but were a big part of the story and deserved to have their endings told. This wasn't a super long novel; I would have happily read more to have everyone's stories completed. I think in the end, although I love contemporary romance novels, I think the posh, rich, famous, Instagram addict character is too much for me and there were a handful of them as main characters so this wasn't the book for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Cove in Croatia.

July 3, 2019 – Started Reading