Ceecee's Reviews > The Perfect Wife

The Perfect Wife by J.P. Delaney

I’m not sure where to start with this novel other than to say I am still a bit stunned! I thought it was amazing and I would love to sit and discuss some of the issues raised with the author! I love the start with the dream of Diwali in Jaipur and then wham! You realise that it is Abbie’s dream - an empathetic Cobot (companion bot) created by her husband Tim in Silicon Valley. This is a very hot topic and so very relevant. Where real Abbie is remains a mystery for much of the book which keeps you guessing. Tim is passionate about cobots - ‘Cobots aren’t slaves or pets. They’re people. Just in another form’ which of course many would disagree with! Tim is driven, obsessive, controlling, hypocritical and a sexist misogynist. Real Abbie is an artist - not that I thought her art was particularly clever but who am I to judge? Their relationship was/is odd as a lot of things that Tim did for her smacked of desperation and certainly their marriage was/is unconventional.

This book deals with so many issues - science and technological advancement of course, morality and ethics, addiction, relationships (adult to adult and family), feminism and one of the biggest themes is autism. One of the loveliest characters in the book is Danny who is Abbie and Tim’s son. Danny has Hellers Syndrome, a rare childhood disintegrative disorder which affected Danny from aged 4. I loved his obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine books and that bot Abbie used this to communicate with him. I thought this aspect of the book was very relevant too and the author cleverly wove all these disparate themes into a cohesive whole with occasional flashes of humour, often from Danny. I thought one of the most thought provoking insights was that Danny is a human with impaired empathy and bot Abbie is an empathetic machine.

This is a fantastic book which I found hard to put down. It’s thought provoking, relevant and has elements of mystery. Parts of the story are very moving and I thought the end was amazing.

Thanks to Netgalley and Quercus Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Wife.

July 5, 2019 – Shelved
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 8, 2019 – Started Reading
July 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Paromjit Great review, Cc......and so glad you enjoyed this too! 😁

Ceecee Thank you Paromjit- much appreciated. 🤗

message 3: by Ujjawal (new)

Ujjawal Sureka A brilliant review Ceecee!! I sense a Dark Mirror kind of vibe from this book! Might read it someday! :)

Ceecee Yes you’re right but it covers other issues too. It’s well worth reading when you can! 😊

leslie hamod Temporarily off line, still reading! Absolutely wonderful review dear CeeCee!😘

Ceecee Thank you so much Leslie- very much appreciated 🤗😘

Jayme Fantastic review!

Ceecee Thank you very much indeed Jayme❣️

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Brilliant review Ceecee! Loved all your thoughts! 💞