Heena Rathore P.'s Reviews > The Perfect Child

The Perfect Child by Lucinda Berry

19253213

bookshelves: adult, dark-fiction, psychology, favorites

>>>>HOLY--F**k!!! THIS BOOK IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!----

When I started reading this book it gave me an intense "Orphan" (movie) vibe, but then the plot started to change its track and I was like, "Okay... well, this is different, but nothing new." But then somewhere around the last third of the book, I was completely and irrevocably mind-blown!

This book is AMAZING!!!

And the reality of how the author played with the reader's mind using seemingly-normal characters and a seemingly-normal plot still continues to mesmerize me...

And I did NOT see that coming!!!

And that one line in the last pages of the book (where a man's voice is mentioned) is still driving me insane! Was there really someone? Was it a supernatural presence? Was it just the broken psyche of the child? Or was it something else entirely?

OMG, I guess I have fallen in love with Dr Lucinda Berry's intelligence and cannot stop thinking about how brilliant she is! For once, someone has dared to write about how complicated human psyche is and that some people are damaged forever and that there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

This book is full of triggers and can be dangerous if you are sensitive towards more than half of the things that is wrong with this world. But if you want to read a truly chilling work, then go for it.

Prose-wise, the author had completely re-defined the meaning of unreliable narrator for me. And it has completely changed my perspective on the subject.

This book is a gem for anyone who loves reading about sociopaths, people with psychosis and other troubled souls. This book is intense, dark and unforgivingly chilling. I loved every bit of it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Child.

Quotes Heena Liked

Lucinda Berry
“Children of trauma are experts at triangulation.” “Triangulation?” I asked. “The child will act a certain way with one parent and a different way with the other parent. They try all kinds of things to drive a wedge in the parents’ relationship.”
Lucinda Berry, The Perfect Child

Lucinda Berry
“No matter how many times I was questioned by the police, it never got easier. My nerves jumped into high gear automatically. They always made me feel like I was lying, even when I was telling the truth.”
Lucinda Berry, The Perfect Child

July 4, 2019 – Shelved
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 28, 2019 – Started Reading
August 28, 2019 –
6.0% "This book's opening is giving me the impression that it can be something very similar to the Orphan movie. I hope against hope that it is not."
August 29, 2019 – Shelved as: adult