Victoria Wilder's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I am not a fan of YA novels, but have been trying to give them a chance. This book caught my eye before its release thanks to my love of fairy tales. Still, I put it off for YEARS until finally buying a copy at this year's Bookcon. And, wow, am I glad I did!

This book (along with Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood & Bone) has shown me why YA is so entertaining to so many people. I haven't been this excited about a series since Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, which I read in high school!

As much as I loved Cinder's gorgeous cover and the basic idea that it's a Cinderella retelling, I knew nothing about its plot. That was a mystery to me. I hadn't even noticed the gears in the foot on its cover! So, it was such a pleasant surprise to find that the titular character is A CYBORG. That's not a spoiler, it's in the plot description...I simply wasn't paying attention.

Anywho, I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a fast, easy read. There are some things I predicted early on, but that didn't detract from the fun of reading and watching the characters figure them out. The ending felt a bit abrupt to me, but that prompted me to immediately buy the next one. I just started it and I can't wait to see what Marissa Meyer has in store!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

June 20, 2019 – Started Reading