M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Taika Town

Taika Town by Drew Montgomery

When I read the blurb for this book, the feature that leapt out at me was society's oppression of people with magical powers, a theme close to my heart. It gives a promising extra twist to this noir fantasy adventure.

Hero (or maybe anti-hero) Jack is a jaded private investigator who clings stubbornly to his cynicism. This is despite being a Taika (magic user) himself and taking on the job of investigating a possible threat to a Taika-friendly presidential candidate. Jack's investigations lead him into trouble more than once, and we get a great view of the underworld. Not somewhere I'd like to find myself!

I enjoyed how events played out against the background of an election. The three political parties are distinctive (and understandable) in their ideologies. I wasn't quite so keen on how the political rhetoric was presented: each of Jack's chapters is interspersed with a (sometimes quite long) speech by a candidate or reporter. Although they usefully set the tone, I felt they dragged on for longer than necessary, especially as they were presented as transcripts rather than "live." Sometimes I wasn't clear who was supposed to be talking.

The writing was clean, with just a few minor typos. However, Jack sometimes felt a bit flat in terms of personality. It might be because his narrative tone remained pretty much the same, whether he was mulling things over in his office, chatting with possible allies, or engaged in combat.

I had fun reading this, and I'm keen to see what else the author has to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taika Town.

Started Reading