Jennifer's Reviews > One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus

Jul 09, 2007

liked it
Read in July, 2007

The friend who loaned me this book raved about it, and I really trust her opinion. However, I just couldn't love this book. It is an interesting topic-it's based on a true bit of history, when the Native Americans and the U.S. were trying to integrate, and the Native Americans requested 1000 of American white women to help the process and have their children. Of course, Grant turned it down, but this book is a fictional account of what might have been. It was an extremely interesting idea, and I especially enjoyed learning more of the Indian cultures, but for one, the characters seemed typical, almost soap opera figures. You know, the racist southern belle, the large, loud woman, the drunk prostitute....the characters were, although very developed, very unbelievable, in my opinion. My main problem of the book is that it was written by a man, and narrated by a woman. I think it nearly impossible for a man to write from a woman's view. It just didn't ring true to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand White Women.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Hutchinson This book is next on my list so I have never read it, but I totally agree with the point you made about it being written by a man from a woman's perspective. Pretty difficult, I agree.

Mary I'm just reading this now for our library book club, and I appreciate your difficulties. May strikes me as a little bit of a Mary Sue. But I do think C.S. Lewis (yes, that C.S. Lewis so often criticized - and with some reason - for racism and sexism) did a brilliant job writing from a woman's POV in "Till We Have Faces". So it can be done.