Julie's Reviews > Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death

Rachel Rising, Volume 1 by Terry Moore

bookshelves: 2019, comics-manga, e-book, horror

Rachel Rising Vol. 1- The Shadow of Death by Terry Moore is a 2012 publication.

This series is going to be awesome!

This series in available with 'comiXology' unlimited, so I decided to check out the first volume going in completely blind.

Rachel wakes up in a shallow grave, realizing someone had tried to kill her. Clawing her way out, she goes in search of a killer.

Part mystery, part supernatural horror, this black and white comic hooked me immediately. I loved dark, macabre atmosphere, the humor, and the depth of the story, which had an almost hypnotic effect on me.

The supernatural investigation kept me reader guessing, wondering about witches and the un-dead. The philosophical discussions about life and death are absorbing adding another layer to the story.

Unlike nearly everyone else who read graphic novels, I have not read any of Terry Moore’s other series. I must say, this is most excited I’ve been about a graphic novel series, since I began taste testing them a few months back.

This story is very creepy, with the artwork carrying the bulk of the load, magnifying the feeling of unease and suspense beautifully. I’m hooked!

On to Volume two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rachel Rising, Volume 1.

July 4, 2019 – Started Reading
July 4, 2019 – Shelved
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: comics-manga
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
July 4, 2019 – Shelved as: horror
July 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Sounds good Julie. I was given my first graphic novel recently and I’m looking forward to embarking on this new genre.

Julie Sandra wrote: "Sounds good Julie. I was given my first graphic novel recently and I’m looking forward to embarking on this new genre."

Thank you, Sandra!! I am having a blast exploring this genre. Some of it is confusing, but I can see now why it is so popular. I hope you have fun with it! 😊😊

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Love your enthusiasm for this series, Julie ;)) Fantastic review, my friend!! 🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie! I like the monochromic illustrations you incorporated into your review!

Julie KAS wrote: "Love your enthusiasm for this series, Julie ;)) Fantastic review, my friend!! 🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸"

Thank you, dear KAS!! I am really excited about this series. A great find! 💕🤗

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! I like the monochromic illustrations you incorporated into your review!"

Thank you, RD!! They are more effective with this type of story, IMHO. 😊😊

message 7: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Fantastic review, Julie! Thank you for sharing the beautiful (in a spooky way) illustrations! 😊🌸

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Julie! :-)

Julie Kimber wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! Thank you for sharing the beautiful (in a spooky way) illustrations! 😊🌸"

Thank you, Kimber!! The illustrations are fabulous- very effective! 😊🤗

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! :-)"

Thank you, Norma!! 🤗😊

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra Great review Julie!

Julie Debra wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Debra!! 😊😊

message 13: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Probably too creepy for me, but glad it’s a good one for you, Julie. Great review. Thanks for a sampling .

Julie Angela M wrote: "Probably too creepy for me, but glad it’s a good one for you, Julie. Great review. Thanks for a sampling ."

Thank you, Angela!! I'm having a great time experimenting. But, yes, this one is pretty creepy and I think it becomes more so as it goes along. 😊😊

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Oh, this sounds like a good one!

Julie Amy wrote: "Oh, this sounds like a good one!"

It surprised me, Amy! I didn't know what to expect, but after one episode, I couldn't put it down! 😊😊

message 17: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Wonderful review, Julie. 🧡🧡

message 18: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Exquisite review 🌹👑🌹

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie. 🧡🧡"

Thank you, Paromjit!! 😊💕

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Exquisite review 🌹👑🌹"

Thank you, TQ!! 💕😊

message 21: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊😊

message 23: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Julie! Glad you’re having so much fun with these! 💕💞

Julie Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you’re having so much fun with these! 💕💞"

Thank you, Nicola!! 😊😊

message 25: by Libby (new)

Libby Beautiful review Julie! Love the graphics you shared.

Julie Libby wrote: "Beautiful review Julie! Love the graphics you shared."

Thank you, Libby!! The art really enhances the story!!
😊😊

message 27: by JanB (new)

JanB I don’t read graphic novels but you are tempting me :) Terrific review Julie!

Julie JanB wrote: "I don’t read graphic novels but you are tempting me :) Terrific review Julie!"

Thank you, Jan! I never thought I'd read one either, to be honest. But, I surprised myself. It's been fun! 😊😊

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fantastic review Julie! :)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 💕

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Most intriguing, Julie!

Julie Kevin wrote: "Most intriguing, Julie!
I loved the artwork! The stylised grassy bank reminded me of the large wave in the woodblock print by Hokusai. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+w......"

Thank you, Kevin!! The artwork is amazing. It's different from other graphic novels I've tried. Very atmospheric. 😊😊

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Love your photos with this review. And thrilled you’re excited with this start of a series!!!
Huge blessings to you Julie.
It was fun taking time this morning to catch up on books you’ve been reading!! 🥰🥰