Brian's Reviews > Enchanters' End Game

Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings

Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, epic-or-high-fantasy, reviewed, favorites

Enchanters' End Game fifth and final installment of 'The Belgariad' series set in the richly detailed world created by David Eddings (with uncredited help from his wife).

As with the previous books, it begins immediately after events of Castle of Wizardry and opens with Ce'Nedra, Polgara, Durnik, and the child Errand being held captive by the Mallorean Emperor 'Zakath. Events unfold, prodded on now an then by The Prophecy of the Light, as Garion, Belgarath, and Silk continue on the final leg of their journey towards Garion's prophecised meeting with the dread god, Torak.

In the end the book brings together all the plotlines of the saga and ties them off with a conclusion that feels perfect for the storyline.

Still, Eddings could not leave the story without foreshadowing the possibility of another series, and concluded the book with the following words:

And thus concludes the Belgariad, which began with Pawn of Prophecy. And while history, unlike the mortal pen, does not cease, the records beyond this point remain as yet unrevealed.

I decided to go back and re-read (and review) this book (and series) as it was a much read and loved favourite from my teen years. I probably read and re-read this series more than a dozen times between it's release and my 21st birthday, and it is probably one of the primary reasons for my love of the epic/high fantasy genre.

Over 20 years later, and with a much broader experience of various writing styles and genres, I can identify numerous things that differentiate Eddings' style from the more 'Epic' styles of Tolkein or Robert Jordan, or even George R.R. Martin.

One of these faults is that, although set richly detailed world, the characters sometimes seem bland and one-dimensional. Another is what many consider to be the now cliched use of prophecy as a vehicle for the plot.

These 'faults' may prevent others from categorising the story as Epic Fantasy. However, this is a book (and series) which I still truly believe sits square in the 'Epic' or 'High' fantasy genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanters' End Game.

March 4, 2012 – Shelved