Carol (Reading Ladies)'s Reviews > The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

bookshelves: netgalley-and-other-arcs, quirky-characters

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 stars

Thanks to #netgalley #berkleypublishinggroup for a free digital copy of #thebookishlifeofninahill in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Fans of rom-com, a quick read, books about books, and likable characters might enjoy The Bookish Life of Nina Hill.

Nina’s life revolves around her planner, her schedule, her cat, her reading nook, her books, several book clubs, her trivia team, and her job at her neighborhood independent book store. She’s the book seller that knows your preferences and can recommend your next great read based on books you’ve read and liked. Her life is ordered and routine until it isn’t. The plot twists in her life include an introduction to a bio family she didn’t know existed, an inheritance, and a chance encounter with the potential love of her life. The inclusion of her planner pages at the beginning of each chapter is a delightful visual addition to the story. Even though Nina’s love interest is a sweet and thoughtful guy and she is warming up to some members of her new bio family, Nina suffers from crippling anxiety attacks which tempt her to withdraw into her former safely structured life and to give up on the idea of forming closer relationships with the boyfriend and her bio family. For guidance, Nina turns to the only person in her life that she can trust. Will Nina resolve these complicated issues and find happiness?

***Prude Alert*** Although the writing is humorous with a generous dose of snark, some of the crassness was not to my taste and I felt the entirety of Chapter Five could have been eliminated. Perhaps modern readers expect this type of dialogue in their rom coms (or at their book club meetings!), but for me it detracts from the story. Some readers might like to know that the romantic passages are not explicit and the romantic details take place off the page (I believed this is referred to as “closed door.”). Overall I enjoyed the flow and quality of the writing with the exception of Chapter Five.

I think fans of rom-com and books about books will enjoy this engaging story for its unique premise, love of books and bookstores, and snappy writing.

For more reviews visit my blog: www.readingladies.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookish Life of Nina Hill.

July 4, 2019 – Started Reading
July 4, 2019 – Shelved
July 5, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-and-other-arcs
July 5, 2019 – Finished Reading
July 6, 2019 – Shelved as: quirky-characters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Courtney Whisenant Yes! I totally agree about chapter 5.

Carol (Reading Ladies) Courtney ....lots of eye rolling required! 😂 I’m definitely an outlier in my opinion! Thanks for your support! 👍

Kimberly Early I felt exactly the same way about chapter 5! I don't see how it was relevant to the main story at all and found it very distasteful.

Carol (Reading Ladies) Kimberly.... were definitely not the cool kids!!! 😂

message 5: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Oh, that looks sweet

Carol (Reading Ladies) Mimi ....it was a fun and entertaining read! (Except ch 5😱)