Kristen Burns's Reviews > Moth & Whisper Vol. 1

Moth & Whisper Vol. 1 by Ted Anderson

4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via Edelweiss. This has not influenced my review.*

I really liked this, and here's why:

- Nice art! How it looks on the cover is basically how it looks inside (but, you know, with panels and whatnot).

- Cool premise! A bit superhero-esque, a bit spy-esque, except the main character is a thief-for-hire with high-tech gadgets, taking up the mantle of their parents who recently disappeared.

- A genderqueer main character! They even state it on the page, and they use they/them pronouns. They also have a high-tech suit that's mostly used for missions and safety, I think, but it allows them to have different gender expressions, sometimes masculine, sometimes feminine.

- Diversity/inclusivity! There weren't too many characters in this volume, but Niki was genderqueer, Niki's mother and the character helping Niki had dark skin, and every character didn't have the same typical "perfect" body types sometimes found in comics.

- Futuristic cyberpunk world! Lots of technology but also with a creepy, overbearing government vibe.

- Likeable characters! Niki seemed very down-to-earth, determined, and maybe a little sassy. But they also seemed kinda lonely and a bit lost, what with their parents having disappeared. I felt for them in their plight and wanted to just give them a hug, chill with them, and be friends. I'll be curious to get to know them better and see if/how their character changes throughout the series. There were only two other non-villain characters, but I liked them too.

- Possible future romance? This is pure speculation, and I'll be happy to keep reading whether there's romance or not, but I sense there might've been a bit of chemistry between Niki and Walter.

The blurb calls this a "YA cyberpunk thriller." I don't know exactly how old the characters are (maybe I missed that) and I didn't get any particular YA vibe from the story, but I see no reason why this couldn't be read by teens.

All in all, I'm looking forward to more!

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes graphic novels, genderqueer characters, heists, and cyberpunk worlds.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

---------------------

Initial Thoughts:
I really liked this! Nice art, futuristic world, cool premise, and a great genderqueer MC. I'm looking forward to more! Full review soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moth & Whisper Vol. 1.

July 3, 2019 – Started Reading