Anna's Herding Cats's Reviews > A Lady Never Surrenders

A Lady Never Surrenders by Sabrina Jeffries

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: sabrina-jeffries, signed, 2012, known-each-other-forever

This. was. the. best. freaking. book! I love the Hellions of Halstead Hall series but A Lady Never Surrenders was by far my favorite. I'd been looking forward for Jackson Pinter's book and damn it was good. Fantastic dynamic between the hero and heroine, full of action and danger, twists and turns, snark, humor and a meddling family. And a romance that'll make a girl envious. Seriously, I loved every single effing page as the last of the Sharpe siblings surrenders to their grandmum's ultimatum of finding love and marrying.

Okay so the hero...'Proper Pinter', dayum the name so doesn't suit him. Jackson was freaking amazing. He's rough around the edges, inappropriately (but, fuck me, so deliciously) growly, passionate and loves Celia for exactly who she is. He's not always the smoothest but when he gets it right omg full body shivers.

And Celia--though she's been pretty darn prickly--turned out to be a delightful heroine and one of my favorites. The chickie has a lot of fire and is incredibly bold but she's hiding so many insecurities and hurts over the ultimatums from her grandmom that I just wanted to swoop her up and comfort her.

It was so much fun to see Celia and Jackson together. They pushed each other's buttons like no one else could and it was lip biting good. Part of what made Celia and Jackson so wonderful together was how they handled each others insecurities. Jackson definitely made his blunders but the way he encouraged Celia, tried to erase past pains and defended her just grabbed my heart and had me sighing. This is just a good man.

"It's either lecture you or stop up your mouth with kisses," he said dryly. "Talking to you isn't easy, because every time I'm near you I burn to carry you off to some secluded spot and do any number of wicked things to you."

She blinked, then gazed at him with such softness that it made his chest hurt. "Then why don't you?"

Underlying the romance--which was just swoonworthy--there was a fantastic culmination of the mystery that's been building for the entire series--the truth about the deaths of the Sharpe parents years earlier. I was amazed that Jeffries could keep me at a complete loss for the villain's identity for 5 books but she did and the twists and turns were amazing. You just never quite know how it's going to play out and I loved it.

If you enjoy historical romance Hellions of Halstead Hall is one that I really could not recommend more. It's witty and sweet, sexy and heart warming and has the perfect amount of action and mystery. You just can't go wrong with Jeffries.

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Never Surrenders.

Quotes Anna's Herding Cats Liked

Sabrina Jeffries
“Love is taking chances when every rational part of you screams, ‘Don’t risk it.’ Because it’s only when your heart has been ripped open that you get a chance to find the one person capable of making it whole.”

Sabrina Jeffries
“You may find this hard to believe, Mr. Pinter," she went on defensively, "but some men enjoy my company. They consider me easy to talk to."

A ghost of a smile touched his handsome face. "You're right. I do find that hard to believe."

Arrogant wretch.

-Jackson and Celia”

Sabrina Jeffries
“You weren't always so...appreciative. When I said that men enjoyed my company, you said you found that hard to believe."

What?" he retorted with a scowl. "I never said any such thing."

"Yes, you did, the day that I asked you to investigate my suitors. I remember it clearly."

"Theres no way in hell I ever..." The conversation came back to him suddenly, and he shook his head. "You're remembering only part, sweeting. You said that men enjoyed your company and considered you easy to talk to. It was the last part I found hard to believe."

"Oh." She eyed him askance. "Why? You never seem to have trouble talking to me. Or rather, lecturing me."

-Celia and Jackson”

Sabrina Jeffries
“What I want,” he said softly, “is you. Just you.