Sandy's Reviews > The Dead Man in Indian Creek

Mar 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, banned-challenged-book
Read in March, 2012

I have read other books by Mary Downing Hahn and this one is not one of my favorites. I'm a sucker for ghost stories and this wasn't one. I understand it is written for juvenile readers and I can see a bit of concern for younger kids reading this but I don't think it was that bad to be a challenged book. Parents need to read this before their kids and decide if the book is appropriate for them. I was also confused with the style of writing in this book. It seemed at first that it was written sometime like in the 70s but then the dad was using a computer. I love other books by this author and I think I will stick with the ghost stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Man in Indian Creek.

Sally Hey sandy, I'm 11 and I loved it! (not as much as "deep, dark, and dangerous, but that's beside the point) it didnt even come close to being a reading challenge, and I certainly didn't need my "mommy" to read it for me to see if it was too "scary". Come to think of it, I was 9 when I read that book! Snap!

Sandy Sally wrote: "Hey sandy, I'm 11 and I loved it! (not as much as "deep, dark, and dangerous, but that's beside the point) it didnt even come close to being a reading challenge, and I certainly didn't need my "mom..."

Hi, Sally, when I said the book was a challenged book I was saying it is on the American Library Association list for banned and challenged books. Some people have a hard time letting their kids read books like this because they think it will harm their kids in some way. I was like you when I was younger. I loved scary books too and never had my mom read my books before I could. My favorite author at that time was Stephen King of all people. :) I work in a library and it upsets me when I see parents just disregard good books because they don't like them or don't know anything about them but their kids might love them. I'm glad you love to read, keep it up and let me know of any other good books to look out for.