Patrick Ryan's Reviews > Chasing Danger: The Case Files of Theron Chase

Chasing Danger by Richard C White

Word on the street says “Chasing Danger: The Case Files of Theron Chase,” is the cat’s pajamas. A real pocket full of firecrackers of a read.
It was a slow day. I was cooling my heels at my desk, looking for an excuse to spend the evening reading. Outside my window, it was shift change in the city. Day shift was going home to their everyday lives and the night crew was coming in to take over. It was time to lock up and go nose around, maybe drum up a little business.
My Kindle buzzed. Seems I had a delivery. I clicked open and there it was. Sleek looking cover, the type that makes a man want to open the book and read it. A lot of women, too.
But, what’s this? Fantasy Noir? You gotta be kidding me.
White isn’t kidding, and “Chasing Danger” is no joke.
From the very first line, you feel the scene turn black-and-white. It doesn’t last long, for White doesn’t waste time showing that Calasia isn’t your typical gumshoe story town. There’s magic in those alleyways.
A collection of four stories that are probably best read in order. At the very least, “The Full Moon Affair” should be read first. A good story, but it also introduces Theron Chase, the supporting cast, and the city of Calasia.
Theron Chase is a straight shooter whose reputation precedes him wherever he goes. Even the bad guys respect him. He likes Scotch, always a plus in my book, and he’s non-magical. In fact, magic has a tendency to malfunction when he’s around. This is an excellent choice by White. The focus on his detective skills helps balance the fantasy aspects of the stories, keeping the Noir in Fantasy Noir.
There is a decent sized supporting cast, and none of them are throw-aways. They all have a part to play in each case, and White makes good use of them all.
Full disclosure, I received my copy for review purposes, but I would purchase a print copy for myself and gift giving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Danger.

Started Reading