Sarah (thehireader)'s Reviews > Bringing Down the Duke

Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore

bookshelves: arcs, favorites, historical-romance

5/5 stars

I'm very new to the historical romance genre, but I won a copy of Bringing Down the Duke in a Goodreads giveaway and was so excited to give the genre a try. I am so glad that I did!

The brilliant Annabelle Archer has just earned a place in the first cohort of female students at Oxford. As part of her scholarship, she must recruit men of influence to champion the women’s suffragist movement. One of her targets is Sebastian Devereux, the Duke of Montgomery, a cunning political strategist and member of the Tory party. They are perfectly matched in every way except for the one that matters most: Annabelle is a commoner.

It's not a novel premise—a man and a woman from different social classes fall in love—but Bringing Down the Duke is a witty and heart-stoppingly romantic addition to the genre. Set against the backdrop of the suffragist movement in England, it’s also got a delightful feminist take.

Annabelle and Sebastian had scorching chemistry. More than that, though, they had so much respect for themselves and for the other. You could feel how deeply both of them valued the other’s wit and cleverness. Plus, there was no shortage of fun banter between the two.

I physically swooned on more than one occasion. Yes, you read that correctly: I SWOONED. You can’t blame me, though, not when there are so many swoon-worthy moments like when Sebastian says, “These wild depths in you, they call to me.” I also got some serious Darcy vibes from Sebastian, especially when he was trying to communicate his feelings initially:

“Annabelle. I’m aware that we have not been acquainted for long, if one merely counts the days. And yet…surely you must know…how much you occupy his thoughts.”

I still can’t believe this is Evie Dunmore’s debut. Bringing Down the Duke is a must-read, not just for fans of historical romance, but for all romance fans. I am already anxiously awaiting the next book in this delightful series.

I received an ARC from the publisher as part of a Goodreads giveaway. This has not impacted my opinion of the book or my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Down the Duke.

July 2, 2019 – Shelved