Carianne Carleo-Evangelist's Reviews > The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance

The Rise of the Ultra Runners by Adharanand Finn

bookshelves: non-fiction, runners, running, running-history, ultra-running, library-book

Finn's entry to ultra running comes via an assignment to cover and run in an ultra in Oman. Between this and his racing the sport's de-facto championship, the UTMB, he traveled to running communities in the US, South Africa and beyond. I actually enjoyed this quite a bit more than I did his book on Japan as I felt it to be more readable and engrossing. I also enjoyed the diversity of runners he spoke with, both ultra "legends" (Sage Canaday, Killian Journet, Joss Naylor) and relatively unknown. Unlike some of his other books I read this soon after publication so the events he covered were fairly fresh.
I also like how he incorporated his work with the Kenyans in exploring how ultras aren't dominated by East Africans in the way marathons are.

No desire to run this distance, through the desert, or on muddy, scree-covered climbs but I really enjoyed his descriptions and curious about the Movements that fixed his achilles. I also liked how he juxtaposed road ultras like Comrades with the trail runs in the Pyrenees. I also enjoyed the fuller descriptions of fell running which I read about in another book but didn't fully understand.

A solid and quick-paced read. Amazing to think he sometimes ran 50 or 100 miles in less time than it took me to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of the Ultra Runners.

July 2, 2019 – Started Reading