Lucia's Reviews > Gabriel's Promise

Gabriel's Promise by Sylvain Reynard
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
8837962
's review

it was ok

2 STARS

As a huge fan of Gabriel's Inferno series, this must be one of the hardest reviews I have ever written.

It has been years since I have read initial trilogy so it is hard to recall the details. But I clearly remember beautiful prose, easy flow of the story and emotional impact that books had on me. Sadly, all these aspects are completely missing in this fourth instalment. Dialogues felt rigid and forced, storyline dragged. So even though it was lovely to revisit my beloved characters, I can't help but feel that this book has no added value to the series.

Moreover, all that unnecessary drama that was brought on just for the sake of the drama made this novel look cheap in comparison with the perfection that were first three books. Especially, considering that some parts of the storyline were not even resolved by the end of this book. Which means that (a) there is going to be fifth book or (b) Mr. Reynard did kind of a sloppy job and left some parts with open-ended ending. Either way I am not happy with the result.

Don't take me wrong, there were some good parts but nothing that would make my heart race as was common with previous books. So if you are huge fan of this series like myself, I suggest to give this book a chance to see for yourself. Maybe you will like it better than I did. But make sure to lower your expectations...

*ARC provided by publisher as an exchange for honest review*
54 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Promise.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

July 1, 2019 – Shelved
July 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 7, 2019 – Started Reading
October 8, 2019 –
page 59
"I'm really angry with Julianne right now!"
October 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I loved this series but I don't see a reason for a 4th installment. 😕


Lucia Felicia wrote: "I loved this series but I don't see a reason for a 4th installment. 😕"

I was looking forward to spending more time with Gabriel and Julianne but I have to agree now that this book was sort of pointless :/


Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Sorry this wasn't the best, Lucia! I still need to read this series!


Lucia Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Sorry this wasn't the best, Lucia! I still need to read this series!"

Yeah, it is a bummer :/ But first three books are awesome, I highly recommend!


message 5: by TMR (new)

TMR Ouch sorry to hear you didn’t like it. But maybe next time.


Lucia The Masked Reader wrote: "Ouch sorry to hear you didn’t like it. But maybe next time."

This one was a huge disappointment :(


message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I haven't read the Gabriel's Inferno Trilogy, but I did read the author's The Raven this year, and everything negative you mentioned here was prevalent in that book, too. I think those Gabriel's Inferno characters feature in The Raven, which is set in Italy. The whole thing was a mess.


Lucia Kelly wrote: "I haven't read the Gabriel's Inferno Trilogy, but I did read the author's The Raven this year, and everything negative you mentioned here was prevalent in that book, too. I think those Gabriel's In..."

I read The Raven too and wasn't impressed either so I never continued that series. Truly, sometimes I feel like The Raven and this Gabriel book #4 were written by someone completely different because first Gabriel's books have beautiful prose and thought out story.


message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly That's too bad. I wonder what happened to the writer? I'll keep an open-mind about Gabriel's Inferno and get to it one day.


message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet It’s been 7 years since #3 released & the series isn’t worth a re-read to refresh my memory. Thanks for your review.


Lucia Janet wrote: "It’s been 7 years since #3 released & the series isn’t worth a re-read to refresh my memory. Thanks for your review."

You are welcome, Janet! I adored first three books but yeah, this instalment seemed like a waste of my time...


ADVESQ I agree with you 100%. Unlike the first 3 books, this book had way more actual sex than story. I felt no satisfaction when I closed the book as I did with Gabriel's Redemption. In fact, my first thought was "Great. He's pulling a Sylvia Day." I just hope that Reynard does a better job with Book 5 that is obviously coming than Day did with her Book 5 of the Crossfire series.


Lucia ADVESQ wrote: "I agree with you 100%. Unlike the first 3 books, this book had way more actual sex than story. I felt no satisfaction when I closed the book as I did with Gabriel's Redemption. In fact, my first th..."

I haven't read Crossfire series so I can't compare, but yeah, I felt no satisfaction when I closed the book either.


Anita Mejía I had the same feeling like you. I got a lot of expectations for the new book and then I felt that the narrative was not as engaging as the other books. The end was so abrupted that as you said I felt that a lot of things were not closed properly. I enyoed the 3 books but this one, not as I thought it would be.


Lucia Anita wrote: "I had the same feeling like you. I got a lot of expectations for the new book and then I felt that the narrative was not as engaging as the other books. The end was so abrupted that as you said I f..."

Agreed, this book was disappointing in many ways :(


back to top