All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Bitter Blood

Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

The blood hits the proverbial fan in BITTER BLOOD and the fallout makes it one of the most daring Morganville books to date. I’ve long had a number of ‘what if’ questions floating around in my head involving certain Morganville residents that I honestly never expected to actually happen, but Rachel Caine completely shocked me in BITTER BLOOD by letting not one, or two, but three HUGE game changing events play out (one of which still has me reeling). Forget about the happily ever after pairings you thought you knew…there is nothing, I repeat nothing, predictable about the events in BITTER BLOOD.

Shocking lip locks aside, Claire once again shares POV with a handful of other characters including a few fascinatingly deranged chapters from Myrnin’s POV that offered glimpses into his very tragic past. I’ve never fully embraced these POV shifts since I prefer Claire’s narration, so I was pleased that there were only a few shifts this time leaving the lion’s share of the story with Claire.

This is the vampire series you should be reading. There are two more books currently contracted in the Morganville Vampire series, with the potential for more after that. With each installment, I think Rachel Caine has finally written herself into a corner, only to find that she’s perfectly set up events for the next book. I’ve stopped questioning how on earth Claire and her friends are going to prevail next time and learned to trust Rachel. Whatever happens next, it’s going to be a crazy fun ride. The next book in the Morganville Vampire series called FALL OF NIGHT will be out in May 2013. Please, please put this series on TV before then.

Sexual Content: Kissing. References to sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Blood.

March 3, 2012 – Shelved