Amanda Leon's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

bookshelves: dystopia, apocalyptic, romance, small-towns, read-in-2013, series, religion

Alex is the short story that comes in the back of the hardback edition of Requiem. It tells of Alex's escape of the crypts and and going to find Lena. It's a nice story and I like how Alex had a voice of his own and it wasn't too muddled down with Lenas, something that can happen when an author writes in different povs. i only wish that was in the beginning of the book instead of the end. It helps to explain to the reader what Alex went through and why he is so angry at Lena.

Also YES YES YES at my prediction being right that he was thrown in Lena's mom's old cell. YESSSSS

Merged review:

3.5

Requiem continues from Pandemonium, where the Resistance has begun to gather footing and true power and intimidation from Cureds and follows Lena, Julian and her new family of the Wilds to protect themselves from attacks of regulators and Hana as she discovers dark secrets about her soon to be husband, the new mayor of Portland. This book was a strange conclusion to this series and felt more like another volume to a series that had four or five books instead of three. Unlike some other trilogies I've read, three books is perfect for what the author had set out to do in plot but I feel that, save for (view spoiler) the first three hundred pages could have been easily summarized into a few paragraphs and more of the story could have been told in lapses of time. Although I do understand why Oliver did it, as to connect the two storylines of Hana and Lena together, Lena's story got a little tedious as it went on, since it was just basically reading about them walking in the woods all the time. Requiem is a strange conclusion to the series and save for the end paragraphs where Oliver shines the brightest, makes closing the book satisfying but unfortunately, a little empty and not satisfying enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

March 3, 2012 – Shelved
March 17, 2013 – Started Reading
page 184
page 200
51.15% "Alex, Coral and Lena tho I'M SCREAMING"
page 232
59.34% "I have no idea where this story is going..."
page 258
65.98% "Coral needs to STOP"
March 18, 2013 –