Ash Rocketship's Reviews > The Summer of Jordi Perez

The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding

bookshelves: 2019

This was a real charmer with really vibrant, enjoyable characters, and an investment in place that made me miss home (I'm from LA if that hasn't been mentioned on this website yet, as opposed to every other website on the entire internet where I never shut up about it.) a whole lot. I really like Abby and I really like Jordi and I really like Jax and I appreciate that even though you spend a lot of the book irritated with Maliah (and man, what teenage girl doesn't go through that shit with at least one friend, huh?) it's never too big/bad to come back from and she shows up when it counts. The romance of this is very charming and Jordi and Abby have great, fun chemistry that Spalding does a great job of illustrating. The writing here is really strong and made Abby and Jordi's relationship sparkle, even when I would have liked their courtship to last a little longer. (I like to be romantically tortured! Sue me.) I also really loved Jax and Abby's developing friendship and their playfulness with each other. I didn't think the climactic complication was particularly enthralling and I wish Spalding had let her characters just sit and talk to each other more for fun (though the tight pacing made for easy reading), but no one is permanently a jerk in this and everyone gets a nice happy ending, so I left really happy regardless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer of Jordi Perez.

June 30, 2019 – Started Reading