Kelly Sedinger's Reviews > On a Sunbeam

On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden

bookshelves: 2019-reads, graphic-novels, science-fiction, space-opera, ya

This was WONDERFUL.

[EDIT: The GR entry for this book is kind of strange. I did NOT read the webcomic from which this book originally appeared; I read the trade paperback edition that came out in 2018. Carry on.]

I'll be writing a longer review for THE GEEKIVERSE, so just a few bullet points:

--Rather like SAGA in its approach to space opera. Space is a very weird place with strange unexplained creatures, and giant crumbling ruins in the sky, and ships that look like birds. Just go with it.
--The book interweaves stories from two different timelines. One of these is a delicately beautiful story of two teen girls who fall in love.
--Amazing art that takes on a dreamlike quality. I did find it occasionally difficult to tell which character was which.
--Another mention of the amazing art.

Read this!

(Oh, looking at the dates: It didn't actually take me six weeks to read this. I started it, read the first two chapters, marked it as "Currently reading" here, and then I had to set it aside while I finished up some other projects. When I came back to it I got through it in about three days and I could have done in one, but I wanted to let it linger and forced myself to stop a few times.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Sunbeam.

June 30, 2019 – Started Reading