megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Cousins

The Cousins by Karen M. McManus

**3.5-stars rounded up**

The Story family, wealthy and private, are practically royalty on Gull Cove Island, a remote vacation destination off the coast of Cape Cod in Massachusetts.

They own the largest resort on island and everyone knows them. Twenty-five years ago, the family matriarch, Mildred, suddenly disowned her four children, essentially banishing them from the island. The cause of this remains a mystery to all.

These children are now adults and three of them have children of their own. Aubrey, Jonah and Milly, although cousins, hardly know each other, having only met a handful of times.

Seemingly out of the blue, all three Story grandchildren receive invitations from the Grandmother they have never met, to travel to the island for the summer and work at the Gull Cove Resort.

All three teens think that this sounds like a terrible way to spend the summer, but they aren't really given an option.

Their parents see this as a chance to get back in Grandma's good graces and possibly back into an inheritance. Money, as we know, can be a strong motivator.

The cousins meet aboard the ferry to the island and begrudgingly begin to get to know one another.

Before they know it, two hours has gone by, the ferry is docking and their summer of scandal has officially begun!

As to be expected with a novel by Karen M. McManus, this was full of twists and turns the entire way through.

The over-the-top drama was compelling and I was so into finding out all of the Story family's deepest secrets. There was a lot to unpack.

Milly, Aubrey and Jonah were each unique, with their own insecurities and hang-ups. I liked how their relationships evolved over the course of the story, as they began to work together to get to the bottom of why their parents got disowned.

In addition to the current timeline, there was also a past perspective following Milly's Mom, Allison, in the summer leading up to their being disinherited. Eventually, it all pieces together into a more than startling conclusion.

This is a super quick read and I had a lot of fun with it. What's not to love about a remote seaside setting, a possible inheritance, decades old family secrets and rich people drama?

Incidentally, I live on a remote island off of Cape Cod in Massachusetts, so can attest to the setting being well done. I loved that McManus even used the actual name of the ferry company that services our island.

Details like that made me feel connected right away.

I am so glad that I finally got around to picking this one up and now can anxiously anticipate her next release, You'll Be the Death of Me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cousins.

June 30, 2019 – Shelved
June 30, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 18, 2021 – Started Reading
February 18, 2021 –
page 24
7.14% "Shout out to my island home of Nantucket! I was actually starting to wonder if Gull Cove was actually Nantucket. For those of you who care about details, The Steamship Authority is one of the two ferry companies we use to get back and forth from the island to the mainland, Hyannis, more specifically. :)"
February 18, 2021 –
page 117
February 20, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Haylee (new)

Haylee book buying bans are one way to limit purchases, but i recommend book buying restrictions (only buying new releases, only buying 2 books a month, or even only buying books from in person book stores (you'll find yourself there less, which will naturally limit that)) but cold turkey quitting spending money on books can eventually lead to giving in, and missing the purpose of the ban in general. i recommend restrictions also for self discipline, that isn't super harsh. (this advice is also used for things like weight loss: you can only eat xy&z after you do this rather than banning foods completely) hope this helps !

megs_bookrack Haylee wrote: "book buying bans are one way to limit purchases, but i recommend book buying restrictions (only buying new releases, only buying 2 books a month, or even only buying books from in person book store..." Thanks, Haylee! All solid tips. I have since changed my format to only buying a certain number per month. It's much easier that way! ;)

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Kaufmann LOVE your failure to live up to your book buying bans! I have the same issue!!

megs_bookrack Lori wrote: "LOVE your failure to live up to your book buying bans! I have the same issue!!" At least we keep trying! :)
Sometimes they are sort of successful and I count that as a win!

Laiky Yeah, but this one was SO worth it!

megs_bookrack Laiky wrote: "Yeah, but this one was SO worth it!" I need to read it!! I had it on last month's TBR, but sadly, ran out of time! Hoping to get to it before the end of the month! Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Laiky.

message 7: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Holmes Sounds intriguing.

megs_bookrack Marcus wrote: "Sounds intriguing." It definitely was!