Tory's Reviews > Ziggy, Stardust and Me

Ziggy, Stardust and Me by James  Brandon

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, historical-fiction, ya

Oh gawd. This guy is MANIC, and not like cutesy-manic-pixie-dream-boy manic, but like, holy shit, do you have some meds that you should be taking that you certainly are NOT taking???? Obviously it's a different time period with different medical practices -- I mean c'mon, he's going through gay conversion "therapy" -- but holy SHIT he needs to Calm. The. Fuck. Down. His thoughts are NONSTOP and BLATHERING and *Oh My Ziggy* like -- what a goddamn tween girl. "OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD THE WHOLE WORLD IS GOING TO END RN BECAUSE LIKE I DUNNO, HIS *EYES* ARE SO DREAAAAMY (ugh really. Please no.) OMG and NOW I like literally can't TALK LOLLOL I'm just making NONSENSE BLAH BLAH SYLLABLES." Literally "Shabbadebops." Wat.

Even just skimming back through to write this review, I was SO annoyed by how ditzy and hyperactive and manic he is. I'm also not a Bowie fan, so him waxing poetic for pages on pages about Ziggy Stardust didn't do anything for me. (And honestly, I disliked Jonathan enough that this book didn't even spark any Bowie interest in me.)

I had high hopes of more info about Two-Spirit culture and history, and while it was touched on, there really wasn't a lot of follow-through. A really big disappointment from a GORGEOUS cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ziggy, Stardust and Me.

June 20, 2019 – Started Reading