Deborah's Reviews > The Soul Destroyer

The Soul Destroyer by Elicia Hyder

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, paranormal, urban-fantasy

Elicia Hyder’s Soul Summoner series continues with book #7, The Soul Destroyer.
Warren has succeeded his father, Azrael, as Archangel of Death, but his unique approach to the job, coloured by his former human life on Earth, is ruffling a few feathers. Add to that a series of particularly gruesome murders in Venice, where his personal sigil is carved into the bodies, plus the angelic council’s order that he must bring his beloved daughter, Iliana, to Eden to become a seraph—a child who will never grow up—he’s finding life as an angel rather challenging.
This fresh entry in the series is as well written and readable as all the previous books. Hyder’s characters are so well drawn you feel if you met them in the street you could strike up an easy conversation with them.
Having said that, I did find this book a little pedestrian compared with earlier volumes. The story was there, but slow to unfold, with, for my taste, too much time spent extolling the loveliness of Eden.
Ah, Eden. That was my other problem with this book. Eden appears to be very much a perfected version of middle-class America – far too ‘Stepford Wives’ for my taste and comfort. I would hate it. And what about all the masses of generations that have gone before, over thousands of years, and from all those other cultures? Where would they be living? Surely not in cosy family homes with pools in the backyard?
I appreciate this might only show us a tiny slice of Eden, but I would have liked at least a suggestion of more variety.
I will, of course, be buying the next book, because the core story is irresistible, but I’m hoping for something just a little more enthralling next time out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul Destroyer.

Started Reading