Gina's Reviews > Beware the Spider: A Black Orchid Chronicle

Beware the Spider by David L. Haase

"Beware the Spider", by David L. Haase is the second in a sci-fi/supernatural suspense series (a trilogy, I believe) called 'Black Orchid Chronicle'.

The cover art for "Beware the Spider" did a nice job of conveying a person's journey that might be fraught with danger. And in main character Sebastian Arnett's case, this is truth.

Sebastian Arnett is a photographer who snaps pics of rare flowers. He's also known as "Look of Death", an unfortunate moniker, but it was given to him after some unique circumstances.

After being presented with a black orchid by an old woman in Borneo, Sebastian becomes cursed (in the previous book). The curse allows Sebastian able to kill people with his thoughts--but only at the most random times, because there's a spider demon who controls this. To make matters worse, Sebastian also has a spider web tattoo on a portion of his face, one he cannot hide.

The US military became aware of his curse (in the first book) and has been keeping tabs on him ever since.

At the start of the story, Sebastian is at the home of his girlfriend, Amanda Campion, a silver heiress. He gets a phone call from a Marine Corps General in the wee hours one morning: A group of seedy criminals from China has also discovered his ability, and they want him. On top of that, Sebastian talks to a 'friend' (an Australian intelligence officer named Jimmy): someone in Australia wants to talk to him about the spider demon. He travels to Australia with T (short for 'Tom'), a young man who "should've been [Amanda's] son".

The Chinese crime bosses, on the other hand, send people to track Sebastian; they *really* want him to use his abilities for them. Sebastian pretty much says "Hard pass!", and visits the nuclear testing grounds in Aboriginal Australia. There, he has a confrontation that leaves everyone shaken.

The criminals, on the other hand, don't take his refusal well. After some setbacks and a near-death experience for Sebastian, Amanda is kidnapped. They figure if they take her, Sebastian will cave. They thought wrong.

Sebastian will do anything to get Amanda back--and his spider demon will do anything to get back to Borneo.

This suspenseful tale is told in the first person, in a straight-forward manner, which flowed well; for me, however, only when Sebastian was alone did the story seem to drag on. Overall, however, this was an engaging, intriguing novel with a unique storyline--one I became engrossed in and want to read more of. Definitely a recommended book; I'm quite pleased I read it!

PS: Joe (Pony Who Sees Far) is my favorite character; I wish Mr. Haase would give us a short story involving him! I would love to read more about him zipping around on his red scooter and making his 'predictions'.

Note: This book has a small number of mild profanities, but no sex or overt graphic violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beware the Spider.

June 29, 2019 – Started Reading