JoAn's Reviews > Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder

Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder by Amy Lillard

bookshelves: arc, cozy-mystery

Can't Judge A Book By It's Murder by Amy Lillard was a interesting cozy mystery set in Sugar Springs, MS.

The suspicious death was front and center in the first chapter but the plot moved slowly as Ms. Lillard was introducing the central characters. Arlo and Chloe are friends and business partners in Sugar Springs. Chloe has a history with the murder victim and subsequently is arrested for the murder. Arlo's book club members, Camille, Fern and Helen, decide they need to investigate the murder so Chloe can be released. Frankly, I connected more with Camille, Fern and Helen than with Arlo. I found them to be smart, independent, determined, funny and devious when getting information. Unfortunately, it looks like Arlo will be involved in a romantic triangle that dates back to her high school days 10 years ago. I'm not a fan of romantic triangles in cozy mysteries as it seems to often allow the mystery to become a secondary plot. All in all a good introduction to a new series. My rating is 3.5 stars.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Poisoned Pen Press via NetGalley. All of the above opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder.

June 27, 2019 – Started Reading