Samantha's Reviews > Sisters of the Wild Sage: A Weird Western Collection

Sisters of the Wild Sage by Nicole Givens Kurtz

I love a good short story collection, especially when my life is overly busy--I get to finish what I'm reading, and yet still get to linger in a theme or feeling. I read this book slowly, over about a month, stopping to savor each story when I'd finished. It's a strong collection, exploring the weird side of the west, in a variety of time periods and with a variety of characters, with the "weird" coming in from imaginative angles.

The scenery was practically a character in several stories, and I felt the heat and wind and thirst alongside the characters, who included determined, dangerous, and magical people, all of whom felt real to me and drew me into the tales.

Among the individual stories, "Belly Speaker" scared me the most. "Justice" surprised me the most. "Unhinged: A Tale of Three Brothers" left me the most unsettled. "The Pluviophile" broke my heart the hardest. The title story, "Sisters of the Wild Sage" was my favorite. I'll be thinking back to these stories for years to come. So glad I read it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of the Wild Sage.

June 29, 2019 – Started Reading