Michelle's Reviews > Geek Girls Unite: How Fangirls, Bookworms, Indie Chicks, and Other Misfits Are Taking Over the World

Geek Girls Unite by Leslie Simon

Mar 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, women-s-studies, geek-culture
Read in January, 2012

At first when I saw "Geek Girls" on the shelf, I got super excited because, hey, I'm a geek (nerd)! It looked interesting and appealed to me!

After reading "Geek Girls", I was disappointed. It's a cute little book that basically defines the major geeks in life: fangirls, book nerds, film geeks, and music geeks. Examples of famous women past and present are given in each of these categories to show how they fit the geek label.

What wasn't necessary was the "Geek Love" parts for each section, which listed a profile each type of geek girl would most likely date. It just didn't fit with what the content should have been about. Also, I wondered why Simon shoved practially everyone else into the mix: home ec, fashion, retro, sports, politics, and comedy "geeks". I got the impression that the message was, "Oh, and to not let anyone feel left out, all other girls shall be put into this book too." I know I was (and still am) a nerd (not so much a geek) growing up and I know there were definite lines separating cliques. There is no way fashionistas, domestics, and jocks would be labeled as "geek" or "nerd".

Also, some of the suggestions for magazines did not fit for the types of geek girls, particularly the "lit geek (nerd)". I myself consider myself to be a book nerd and after checking out the magazine lists for my type (Slate, The Believer, Utne Reader, Mental Floss), I thought they really didn't have anything to do with books. Maybe a little section on book reviews and releases, but nothing absolutely dedicated.

"Geek Girls" is a good for a quick but fun read and is not to be taken seriously. If you're looking for a serious study into girls/women as nerds/geeks, then this isn't the book you want to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geek Girls Unite.