T.R. Graves's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

It is a RARE situation when I give a book anything less than 5 stars because I don't read (and certainly don't review) books that I don't LOVE. After finishing Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12), I decided to make an exception AND take one star away for the blatantly obvious missing component of this book.

Any Sookie Stackhouse fan will tell you, there is a dangerous lust that we absolutely love and have come to expect to be within the covers of each of the stories. I've waited for an entire year for this installment and assumed I'd be met with a paranormal adventure along with some jaw-dropping passion...as has been customary for Sookie Stackhouse books. With each page, it became more apparent my expectations were not going to be met. In fact, I was beyond disappointed when the book abruptly ended. Frantic, I searched to see if there was more. There was not. Ahh!

Please note: Mrs. Harris, it is not nice to toy with the emotions of your die-hard fans or to completely change the very make-up of the characters we've come to know and love.

Now, that I've formally lodged my complaint, I will say the Sookie Stackhouse book is filled with all the familiar characters/dialogue I've come to love. Sookie still gets bogged down in the monotony of life (work, grocery store, Sonic, Dairy Queen,...). Usually, I don't mind these boring detours because there are some exciting moments to balance them out. That cannot be said for Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12).

One final observation. It unfortunately symbolizes the tone of the entire book. The vampire birthday party for Sookie was handled in a very odd manner. By this, I mean that Eric, Bill, and Pam were out in Sookie's yard. Instead of allowing them to have a witty conversation among themselves where we see that the vampires closest to Sookie love her, Mrs. Harris had Eric say something like 'Imagine Bill has just proclaimed his undying love to you and Pam has paid you a snarky compliment that tells you she loves you.' She did this rather than allow the character's personalities to show through with their own real dialogue. She robbed us of the opportunity to interpret the meaning of their proclamation/snarky compliments.

No matter what, I'm committed to this series and will continue to read them until the last one is written. I just hope the next one brings back all the things we love about the series, its storyline, and its author.

T.R. Graves
Warriors of the Cross
Guardians of the Cross
Enemies of the Cross
Left
Grave Bound
Underground

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.