Jessica 's Reviews > One Fine Duke

One Fine Duke by Lenora Bell

bookshelves: slow-burn, historical-romance

I fell in love with Lenora Bell's writing when I read her Disgraceful Dukes series. I had no idea she had a new series out, so I jumped at the chance to read One Fine Duke!

Mina Penny knows she must find herself a husband, and one of the Dukes her uncle picks out for her is not happening. Mina longs for a life of adventure and espionage, so she knows only a rakish man will give her what she wants. But when Mina ends up dancing with the brother of the man she has set her eyes on, the man her Uncle chose for her, Mina does everything to make herself as undesirable as possible. Too bad that only makes the Duke of Thorndon that much more interested...

When this book started, I absolutely loved Mina's character and how headstrong she was. She was a woman who knew what she wanted and did what she had to to go after it. I loved when Drew and Mina met and the banter that started right away. They were perfect for each other in the ways that they pushed each other to be their better selves and go after what they wanted.

While this was a romance, there was so much more to the story. I loved how there was a whole world of spies and how Mina had so many cool skills like cracking codes and designing weapons. This definitely picked up the last 100 pages with lots of action and secret espionage. The romance was slow burn with all of this going on, but it was so worth the wait!

If you're a fan of historical romance and haven't picked up a Lenora Bell book yet, what are you doing!? Her books are full of swoon-worthy heroes and strong, bold heroines. Her plots are so engaging and I never want to put her books down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fine Duke.

June 28, 2019 – Shelved