Melanie Brinkman's Reviews > The Speed of Falling Objects

The Speed of Falling Objects by Nancy Richardson Fischer

bookshelves: own-r, fiction, young-adult, contemporary

What if winning the fight for survival means losing your humanity?

Danger "Danny" Danielle Warren is no stranger to falling. After a traumatic childhood accident changed her life forever, Danny became timid. She's sure that her trauma caused her mother's bitterness and her TV star father's absence. So when her dad calls with an offer to accompany him to film the next episode of his TV show, Danny jumps at the chance to prove herself. But when the TV show crew's small plane crashes over the Amazon, Danny must overcome more than just the adversities of nature.

The story of one test after the other. One young girl battling against more than just nature to survive.

Trigger warning for mention of a past injury, trauma, death, divorce, horrible parenting, injury, bullying, and death of a loved one.

Shy with a bit of a stubborn streak, Danny was not the girl she once was. After losing an eye, her outlook on the world was warped by the repercussions it seemed to cause in those most important to her. The ache of her heart as she longed to feel worthy of her father's love was so painfully palpable, making my heart hurt for her. As crazy as things got for her, it was awe-inspiring to watch her regain her courage back bit by bit. This girl was brave through and through as she battled the jungle and her own inner demons.

From the narcissistic John "Cougar" Warren to his driven but sly assistant Cass, from the realistic Jupiter, to the plane pilot Mack, to the gorgeous and surprising teen heartthrob Gus, Danny grew attached to all of the supporting cast during their perilous journey. But it was an ever-growing challenge to determine whether or not this was to Danny's benefit. They all helped each other out, but as time ticked on, sanity began to wane, turning them into each other's downfalls. The complicated and heartbreaking relationship between Danny and her dad, Cougar, made me all the more appreciative of my own father. Honestly, I understood why Danny craved his approval, but I struggled as to why she wanted him in her life in the first place. I also found that as sweetly passionate as it was, the romance felt out of place in this story. Although it provided even more tension, the book would have been fine without it.

Snakes, bugs, and treacherous elements, oh my! Trial after trial kept Danny and I on our toes as she fought to survive. Fast paced, Nancy Richardson Fisher pushed her characters to their limits in the dangerous tale of endurance, love, and truth. Danny's knowledge of survival skills and the lush, vivid descriptions of the hot, buggy Amazon made this story gorgeously terrifying. I was utterly captivated not only by the increasingly high stakes, but by Danny's self growth. Authentic and suspenseful, her story was intensely emotional, as it examined the importance of communication and the devastating consequences of the lack thereof. Unexpected and action-packed, this novel was unputdownable.

With great speed you'll fall in love with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speed of Falling Objects.

June 28, 2019 – Shelved