Julie's Reviews > The Twilight Man: Rod Serling and the Birth of Television

The Twilight Man by Koren Shadmi

bookshelves: 2019, comics-manga, e-book

The Twilight Man by Koren Shadmi is a 2019 Life Drawn publication.

An imaginative biographical novel Rod Serling would approve of!

Well, how cool is this? The second I saw this book I knew I had to read it! Why? Because I love, love, love The Twilight Zone! I was also a fan of ‘Night Gallery’ and loved Serling’s narration of both anthology series.

But, once I started reading the book, I realized I didn’t really know anything at all about Rod Serling. As his story unfolds, I learned about his military service and some daredevil stunts he participated in. But, before he found success, he went through more than his fair share of rejections. He was just too far ahead of his time, unafraid of addressing uncomfortable subject matter.

His journey to success is fascinating. He was indeed a revolutionary, challenging the television establishment- which earned him the moniker of “Angry Young Man”. I think we owe Serling more than we realized!

This is a must for fans of the Twilight Zone and Rod Serling, but anyone who likes entertainment history will find this book very interesting. Rod packed a lot of living in his short life and his legacy is one that has far surpassed his wildest imagination. The deep meanings of some of the Twilight Zone episodes go far beyond mere science fiction and unexplained phenomena.

While I do believe I have watched every episode at least twice, I sometimes find myself in the mood to watch the series over again. Each time I am struck by the imagination and genius of the show- now I’m struck by imagination and genius behind the show!

5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight Man.

June 27, 2019 – Shelved
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2019 – Started Reading
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: comics-manga
October 24, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
November 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Glad you loved it Julie! Fab review! 💙😊

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I love The Twilight Zone! Back when we had cable, we would watch the SyFy Channel's New Year's marathon every year. I think some episodes really speak to the mindset of fear that ran through the 50s. Some of them explicitly, some more subtly. Great review, added to the mountain!

Julie Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Glad you loved it Julie! Fab review! 💙😊"

Thank you very much, Suzy!! 💖

Julie Amy wrote: "I love The Twilight Zone! Back when we had cable, we would watch the SyFy Channel's New Year's marathon every year. I think some episodes really speak to the mindset of fear that ran through the 50..."

Thank you, Amy!! Me too! We always camped out in front of the TV and watched hours and hours of The Twilight Zone. I agree, the scripts were very much a mirror of the times. 💖

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra Great review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it!

message 6: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Great review Julie - as ever! 🤗

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk Excellent review! I've not watched any Twilight Zone episodes... maybe its time I did... and read this!

Julie Debra wrote: "Great review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you very much, Debra!! 💖

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Great review Julie - as ever! 🤗"

Thank you, Ceecee!! 💖

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Another compelling review Julie, so glad you enjoyed it 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Another compelling review Julie, so glad you enjoyed it 💖"

Thank you very much, Maureen!! 💖

Julie Janice wrote: "Excellent review! I've not watched any Twilight Zone episodes... maybe its time I did... and read this!"

Thank you, Janice!! Yes! You must watch the old Twilight Zone episodes!! My favorite one is 'Will the Real Martian Stand Up?
💖

message 13: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie! The Twilight Zone was one of my favourite shows - and The Outer Limits. I wonder what I'd make of it now? Haven't seen either for decades. I'm starting to feel nostalgic - AGAIN.

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! The Twilight Zone was one of my favourite shows - and The Outer Limits. I wonder what I'd make of it now? Haven't seen either for decades. I'm starting to feel nostalgic - ..."

Thank you, RD!! I felt pretty nostalgic too when reading this book. I never watched too many Outer Limits shows, but I can watch The Twilight Zone endlessly. I think the show is timeless. 😊😊

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard An interesting format for a biography ......... great write up Julie :)

Julie Richard wrote: "An interesting format for a biography ......... great write up Julie :)"

Thank you, Richard! Reading a biography in graphic novel format is certainly different- but in this case, it worked out really well. I highly recommend it! 😊😊

message 17: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊💖

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Great review! Loved The Twilight Zone!

Julie Lynn wrote: "Great review! Loved The Twilight Zone!"

Thank you very much, Lynn!! 💖

message 21: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! I loved the twilight zone!🤗💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! I loved the twilight zone!🤗💖"

Thank you very much, Kaceey!! 💖😊💖

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace Great review, Julie.

Julie Grace wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thank you very much, Grace!! 💖

message 25: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Julie, I remember watching this and I was always creeped out. The one that sticks in my mind is when a man or could have been a woman, not sure takes the elevator to the 13th floor of a department store and the mannequins come to life. There was no 13th floor! Glad you enjoyed it.

message 26: by Fred (new)

Fred Nice review

message 27: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Terrific review! Those were the good old days, when there were thought provoking shows such as this. I particularly remember the one about the guy who wanted nothing other than to be alone and read. Finally he gets his wish and he's all alone somewhere with all his books, but his sole pair of glasses are shattered.

message 28: by Paige (new)

Paige Awesome. I love Rod Sterling's work, but know little about him!

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah First rate review!

message 30: by Constantine (new)

Constantine Very nice review, Julie. Wow 5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, I remember watching this and I was always creeped out. The one that sticks in my mind is when a man or could have been a woman, not sure takes the elevator to the 13th floor of a department ..."

Thank you, Angela!! That was one of my favorite episodes too! 💖

Julie Constantine wrote: "Very nice review, Julie. Wow 5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐"

Thank you, Constantine!! 💖😊💖

Julie Deborah wrote: "First rate review!"

Thank you very much, Deborah!! 💖😊💖

Julie Paige wrote: "Awesome. I love Rod Sterling's work, but know little about him!"

Thank you, Paige!! I was in the same boat! This was a fun way to learn about his life! 💖😊💖

Julie Fred wrote: "Nice review"

Thank you, Fred!! 😊😊

Julie Dean J. Hill wrote: "Nice review. Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you, Dean!! 😊😊

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Terrific review! Those were the good old days, when there were thought provoking shows such as this. I particularly remember the one about the guy who wanted nothing other than to be alone and read..."

Thank you, TQ!! I agree- TV shows are so awful now. I remember that episode vividly. Burgess Meredith! 😊💖😊

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina A fab review Julie!! 🌠🌚💙

Julie Tina wrote: "A fab review Julie!! 🌠🌚💙"

Thank you so much, Tina!! 💖😊💖

message 40: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Wonderful review, Julie......such culture highlights! 😘💕💕

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie......such culture highlights! 😘💕💕"

Thank you very much, Paromjit!! 💖😊💖