Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > This Tender Land

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

bookshelves: arc, era-early-mid-20th-century, loc-usa-midwest, theme-coming-of-age

Four years ago W K Krueger won awards for Ordinary Grace, in which he brought the 1960's to life. Now, he does the same with the 1930's, and what these two excellent novels share is a 13-year-old protagonist and an exceptional example of great storytelling from a master. Stepping back for the moment from his addictive Cork O'Connor series, Krueger presents another great standalone, but all of his books share a respect for the landscape and his characters, and an appreciation for Native Americans and their dignity in the face of broken promises and worthless treaties and grand theft of culture and land. Here we have four orphans against the storm so to speak: narrator Odie, his brother Albert, Mose their friend, and Emmy, a small girl who needs rescuing. Comparisons to Huckleberry Finn are apt since a great deal depends on a water getaway, and Krueger does all of this with his trademark graceful prose. Kudos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Tender Land.

June 27, 2019 – Shelved
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2019 – Started Reading
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: era-early-mid-20th-century
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: loc-usa-midwest
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: theme-coming-of-age
July 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 2: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Brody I will have to put it on top of my TBR stack.

message 3: by James (new)

James Thane I loved Ordinary Grace. Adding this one to my TBR list.

Kasa Cotugno 👌

Stephanie Nicholas It's so wonderful to hear you loved this book. I cannot wait to read it! I enjoyed Ordinary Grace very much.

Kasa Cotugno He’s a favorite. Great plotting, characters, and a LOT of heart.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Nice review, I loved this one :)

message 8: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela Kasa, such a wonderful review. I loved Ordinary Grace. In fact, I've read it twice before and it's also this month's selection for the bookclub I'm chairing. Your review for This Tender Land has inspired me to stop at Barnes and Noble today and purchase a copy.

Kasa Cotugno Oh, Pamela -- hope I'm in time -- it's not out until September 3. Thank you for liking my review enough to want to read it. He's an amazing writer.