Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)'s Reviews > A Madness of Sunshine

A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh

liked it
bookshelves: arc

Anahera thought she had left the tiny New Zealand town of Golden Cove behind forever when her mother died.  She spent years in London as a successful pianist with a loving husband only to return to Golden Cove after his sudden death.
Shocked with the secrets her husband kept and still grieving her mother and a pregnancy loss, Anahera hopes to heal in the familiar seaside cabin.

Will is the sole police officer in Golden Cove and he's tormented by the case that delivered him from the city to the sleepy town.  As an outsider, the locals keep Will at arm's length but his instincts make him a pretty good judge of character.

When the beautiful nineteen-year-old local Miriama disappears on a jog, Will is determined to find the young woman so well known and loved by her community.  His search for clues reveals some surprising secrets that lead him in the direction of wealthy residents.  Experience tells Will that he needs an insider who can collect information the residents may otherwise be tight-lipped about with him and Anahera is the perfect insider with the town interested in her unexpected return.

Golden Cove's past may hold answers to Miriama's disappearance but the young woman's secrets hold several tantalizing possibilities.

Completely entertaining with several potential suspects that kept me guessing, I enjoyed A Madness of Sunshine overall.
My complaints are that the setting didn't fully come to life for me despite the details of the location and the people and the ending felt much too rushed.  I don't know if the author has been to New Zealand or not but the atmosphere that was detailed felt like it was built on second hand descriptions. There was some suspense at the reveal but it was in too much of a hurry to explain the truth and the motives of the villain to build the intensity I expected.

Thanks to Berkley and Edelweiss for providing me with a DRC in exchange for my honest review.  A Madness of Sunshine is scheduled for release on December 3, 2019.

For more reviews, visit www.rootsandreads.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Madness of Sunshine.

June 27, 2019 – Shelved
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 27, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
November 8, 2019 – Started Reading
November 9, 2019 –
November 11, 2019 –
November 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Amazing review, Kyra!

Sacha Beguely Just thought I'd let you know that Nalini lives in New Zealand, so definitely not second hand descriptions :)

Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads) J.K. wrote: "Amazing review, Kyra!"

Thanks J.K.!

Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads) Sacha wrote: "Just thought I'd let you know that Nalini lives in New Zealand, so definitely not second hand descriptions :)"

Thanks for the info Sacha! The location descriptions felt so detached to me I honestly wouldn't have guessed.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Kyra!

Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads) Holly wrote: "Great review Kyra!"

Thanks Holly!