Taffy's Reviews > Love in Disguise

Love in Disguise by Anneka R. Walker

bookshelves: 2019

Opening line:

"Marion's fingers trembled with anticipation."

Marion is a quiet, pretty, stubborn young lady trying her best to do her best. Unfortunately, for her, a stuffy, rude dandy with a reputation for snubbing the best musicales and balls, ruins her season. Marion's mother worries that her daughter will not make a suitable match because of the snub. Fortunately for her, she becomes good friends with someone who is kind to her.

Lord Everton would much rather be in the country then in town flirting with eligible young women who are thrown at him by conniving mothers. His mother also worries about her son making a good match. But Everton is distracted by his solicitor, who has brought him news that someone is forging his signature around town and taking Everton's money.

How the two come together is cute and I wish the 'scheme' would have been drawn out a little more.

Who comes between them adds tension to the story in all the right parts. I just wish Marion would been a little more brave and told the woman off.

Why someone adds tension and concern (the subplot) either didn't need to be in the story, or needed more fleshing out.

Throw in a death, a desperate woman and a gambling man and you have the makings for an intriguing romance.

BUT I did enjoy reading the story. I tried to put the book down around midnight and had to read 'just one more chapter' before going to sleep.

I've heard this is a debut novel, and it's fantastic. Good for Ms. Walker for writing flawed and human characters, bringing their world in vivid colors, and creating a story I wanted to keep reading.

I'll pick up her next book for sure!

Thanks to netgalley for the early read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in Disguise.

June 26, 2019 – Started Reading