A Klue's Reviews > His Rebellious Lass

His Rebellious Lass by Callie Hutton

Rating: 3.5 stars

Bridget, the heroine, is determined to make the world a better place by helping one abused woman at a time. In fact, her selfless dream of running a home to do just that had me loving her character from the get go. She had spunk, feistiness, and wasn’t about to let anything stand in her way, including the unexpected glitch in her deceased daddy’s will. She finds herself dumped onto the doorstep of a handsome, never plans to marry, rake reputation guardian. Unfortunately for her, his job is to find her a husband. With a “what’s good for the gander is good for the goose” undertone, Bridget hopes to derail that plan long enough to escape the marital hangman’s noose until she is old enough not to have to answer to anyone.

After a lot of expected back and forth bickering/banter, Cam, of course, eventually starts to fall for Bridget and vice versa. That is always my favorite part, folks. I love the push and pull of fighting attraction between meant to be together lovebirds.

If you are looking for a rich, reluctant, gorgeous guardian who falls for his almost old enough to be completely on her own ward but fights it until nearly the end, you might want to check into this romantic read. Just expect to see only proper English manners and dialect, and not Scottish brogue. I really didn’t sense much of a Scottish vibe at all. Upfront, we are told why Bridget actually doesn’t come across overly Scottish.

I mostly stayed in tune with this tale, but there were parts, especially after midway, that started to ramble so I found myself skimming until things picked back up. I’m still scratching my head over Bridget putting herself in a dangerous situation with a suspected murderer. It kind of felt like she answered the door and let him in despite seeing him in a scary hockey mask and yielding a large, bloody knife. Of course, that is not how it played out, but it showed a complete lack of common sense that astounded me.

I would not have found it amiss, however, if she had inflicted bodily harm on Cam for the rash, hurtful accusations and conclusion he jumped to when they were first intimate. That also was unexpected and uncalled for. At least it resulted in groveling and regret.

I haven’t a clue who the main couple will be in book 2. Here’s to hoping this review has been helpful in some way so you can decide if this book is a good fit for you.

Romance Safety Gang: (view spoiler)

Title: His Rebellious Lass, Scottish Hearts (Book 1), Author: Callie Hutton, Pages: 280, stand-alone but part of a series, determined to help abused women, steamy scenes late in the book, back and forth bickering/banter, both reluctant to marry, virgin heroine, former rake reputation hero.

(I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not given any payment or compensation for this review. There is no affiliation or relationship between this reviewer and the author/publisher/NetGalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Rebellious Lass.

Finished Reading
June 26, 2019 – Started Reading
June 26, 2019 – Shelved
June 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Rogers Nice Review